Help with tripping electrics

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juddy

Reaction score
Hi all, i have a problem that is really bugging me.

My Sockets up stairs keep on tripping the breaker. i've maaged to isolate it to one room but haven't added any new items to the room for at least 6 months. When i switch off the power to the upstairs sockets the eelectricity in the house is fine, its only when the sockets upstairs are on it trips the breaker every hour or even quicker.

Ihave recently added a new home entertainment system to the down stair front room and was wondering if thid was some how putting to much drain on the system and consequently when anything is turned on upstairs it is simply to much for the system to handle.

I had the electrics completely re wired and everyting in january as my house is a refurb.

Any suggestions and reasons for the problem?

Juddy

What is plugged in upstairs? What is the load on the circuit?

Is the breaker an arc-fault breaker?

Not sure of the load or if it is an arc fault breaker. The breaker is sectioned off for the differetn parts of the house. i.e sockets upstairs, sockets down stairs, lights etc.

The only things plugged in upstairs are in my bedroom: two lamps, Phone and a small TV

sounds like either breaker might be bad or something has made a wire bare. hopefully Pete will be of better help.

Is it tripping a 15 or 20 amp breaker? or the main breaker? Are the upstairs bedroom and the entertainment system the only thing that dont work when the breaker trips or is there more things on that circuit? I would say if the problem started with the arrival of the t.v., you should have your local electrician back to wire a dedicated circuit to your entertainment center. Good luck with your adventure.

Juddy,
two lamps, Phone and a small TV
......will NOT trip a breaker. I don't care if this is a 120" TV. Besides, you say the downstairs circuits are not affected. The entertainment center has nothing to do with it.

Either there is way more plugged in than you know; or there is a problem with the wiring somewhere; or this is an AFCI breaker that is nuisance tripping.

What does "I had the electrics completely re wired and everyting" mean???
Was this whole area really rewired, or was it just renovated?
Were new circuits run, or was the old wiring reused?
Do the breakers for this area have little test buttons on them?

I agree that the lamp etc will not trip the breaker. So it must be the wiring!

And just to reitterate, the down stairs lights, sockets and upstairs lights are fine when i switch the up stairs sockets are switch off at the consumer unit.

The house has had new wires, new consumer unit, new breakers. the whole area was re wired. i took he place back to brick work and then brought it forward. new circuits were run.

No test buttons on the breakers just the basic switches when i know something has tripped.

Thanks for your help, it really bugging me.

Oooohhhhh. You are in the UK.

I don't think you have AFCI breakers there yet.

I would strongly suggest you get someone in there to check it out.

Back