Options for gas dryer vent on patio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazman

Reaction score
Hi all,

My daugher and SIL are buying a house and the washer, gas dryer and water heater are ouside o the patio. Seems to be the norm there although not my preference. Previous owner just let the driver vent on to the patio leaving a mess of soggy lint. I'm looking for some ideas o how to vent this to collect the lint. I've seem some inside vent boxes that water is added to but it says for electric only. I'm assuming due to gas fumes venting as well. Given this is outside on the patio with only a roof can I use this set up? Any other ideas appreciated! House is located in Lompoc, CA if it makes any difference

thx
Randy

Randy, I'd call the local codes office, I'm sure Cali has some sort of restriction about this and you surely don't want to burn down the house, neighbor hood or southern part of the state or create earthquakes, famine and pestilence. ;)

What's the walls on the porch made of? I hope this is not just an open porch.
It needs to be vent out the wall.

this is on the exterior stucco rear wall of the house and sits on a concrete slab patio with a mostly open roof with those corrugated fiberglass panels. No sides or front enclosure at all. many houses in the area are this way but no decent lint vent set up

thx
Randy

Sounds pretty funkey the way that porch must look.
You will find out over the years that those panels will start to leak and they start to fall apart and crack from the UV rays breaking down the binding agent.

I think there going to have trouble with the poilt light from wind blowing it out, unless there's a auto poilt.
You can make a hole through that wall with a carbide hole saw with a carbide 1/4 pilet bit and install a flush mount real dryer vent. You will need a 4-1/8 or 4-1/4" hole saw. The dry vents are sold near where the sidings sold in any HD or Lowes or near where the ventalation products are sold.

Back