Shower grab rail questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USGP

Reaction score
Hi, new guy here. My father in law just got out of the hospital and asked if I would install a couple of grab rails in the shower. It's tiled and I was going to put in two stainless grab rails, the rail I was looking at had three screw holes in a triangle pattern on a circular plate to hold them on and come in different sizes, should they be in increments of 16" to hit a stud? He wants them mounted horizontally. Question: The screw pattern is wider than the studs in the wall, how do I do this and still have it mounted solidly? How do you find a stud behind tile and how do I avoid hitting a water line? Thanks!

I think you need to be on a stud to have enough strength for a grab rail. I believe some of the new stud sensors are more sensitive and you should be able to find the stud with it. An alternative would be to drill small holes at the grout line until you find the stud, then fill the grout holes. Not pretty, but feasible.

If you angle the screws slightly you can get all three into the stud. I did this in my bath, though not through tile.

Hello USGP:
Typically, if you don't use screws on the end wall where the shower and controls are, you would not hit a pipe. If you must use screws on the end wall, stay at least 8" from the center line. Using the electronic stud detectors should only pick up the wood studs.
Please post back and tell us how it went.
Glenn

One thing I tried and worked ...
When you don't find the stud...look on the wall on the other side and get some measurements.
Then if you are concerned about holding power,,,just squirt some construction adhesive into a larger hole you drill at the edge of the stud. Drill the hole where it will be covered by the base of the bar. Then when the glue dries inside the wall ...it is into something solid ...which is attached to the stud.:D
I use PL 400...apply a little to the back of the bar too. But not so much it gets all over.
Good luck.

Back