interior construction project question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindofsudden

Reaction score
I am new to DIY construction and I have an existing 60x40 pole barn. I don't need that much barn, but want to build some living area in the back 12 feet (making the living area 40x12). The side walls are 18 feet tall I believe, so I would like to make this living area 2 stories tall to maximize the space.

The areas I would like to build are an office, a full bath, a bar, a bedroom, and a studio. The barn has 100 amp electric service and lines for propane and water. I plan on contracting out the plumbing because I don't trust myself with that part. The construction and electric I am doing myself.

The question I have is how to start. At this point I have graphed out my rooms for both levels keeping in mind the location of the water source and where it will be used in the new rooms. Do I bring in the plumber before I start laying the framing? Do I frame everything out first? Is there a good "construction project walkthrough" online that would be of help?

Thanks in advance!

I guess you could make up simple Gantt or Pert charts for how this should proceed and in what order.

Do you have any pictures of the space? That would help us get a grasp of what you're working with.

There is a concrete floor in the barn. I am not sure how thick it is. The water has already been run to the inside of the barn, it would just be a matter of extending it to the rooms, and then of course the water output from the bathroom. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Are you think of using the floor like a slab on grade or are you thinking of raising the floor? How deep is the frost level in your area?
Will you be hooking to a new septic feild system?

Here are some pics of the space. Not sure about frost level, I am in central Indiana. No thoughts one way or another about raising the floor. The home inspector told me the septic system was built for the existing home and probably couldn't take on more input, but I'm thinking I would be using the barn facilities INSTEAD OF the home facilities, so there wouldn't really be any more volume...

2012-11-12 14.17.03.jpg

2012-11-12 14.17.16.jpg

2012-11-12 14.17.39.jpg

2012-11-12 14.17.46.jpg

Back