vinyl tile over hardwood floor???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diy_guy

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a half bath on the main floor that has hardwood flooring. We are remodeling it, and after we tore out the toilet, we found the hardwood floor underneath rotted, and concealed by the previous owner.

The rot stretches 2 feet each way.

I started ripping it out with my hands it was so bad.

anyhow, I don't want hardwood in the bathroom anymore, as its too prone to rot/mold.

i want to install those self sticking vinyl tiles, but should I rip out all the wood floor and install over the subfloor? or should i patch up the parts of the hardwood that i tore out, and install the tiles over it?

kind of undecided, but I know the second option will take a lot less time.

Welcome to the forum.

I would go for option 2. I’m not a fan of the stick on tiles but if that’s what you like and the old floors are fairly smooth I would do that.

I personally like a sheet material better. Make a template for the whole room with every cutout roll it out on a sheet of something and cut it out and lay it down with adhesive.

I’m not a professional flooring guy. They may come along shortly and tell you how they would do it.

Ripping out the hardwood and replacing it with plywood would be best as the toilet flange would have to be adapted if you added plywood on top and that woulkd be my second choice. Peel and stick tile bring up some bad memmories but I havn't looked at it lately. As Bud pointed out craft paper can be taped and cut into a good template for sheet vinyl and I have done that with newspaper.
And welcome to the site.

The plywood replacement is your best bet. Strong and solid. However, opting for peal-n-stick is gross. This must be budget driven ... but tile is a far better choice as an investment and a finished look. Rent tools, take your time, put down Hardie board over the restored floor ...

Tile is NOT that difficult to do and your end result will be vastly better ...

TILE.jpg

Just want to echo some that is being said about the peel and stick tile. I have redone my kitchen and bath twice, with the same end result...the tile gets a bit of gappiness to it and it could be my OCD, but it's all I see when I walk in there and it drives me crazy. I am redoing it for hopefully the final time, only this time with lament in the kitchen and linoleum in the bath.

Back