BBQ - How does your Region Define it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
How does your region define BBQ? In Texas it's beef, little to no sauce, a good rub, smoked for a few days.

Where are you at and what do you do?

I'm in CA so I copy the rest of the country and their styles of smoking. We do more grilling out here than smoking but I try to keep the tradition alive.

Why the emphasis on grilling over smoking? We grill down here, but not much.

Grilling is usually quick at higher temps. Steaks, burger, chicken all can be cooked with that great outdoor flavor, even on a gas grill. Quick, easy and cleaner. Charcoal takes a longer prep time.

Tougher meats like brisket, chuck roast, pork shoulders and butts benefit from longer, slower cooking at lower temps. This allows the tough tissue to break down and become tender. Smoking meats on a smoker takes a commitment in time, usually in the neighborhood of 1-1/2 hours a pound.

CA we are all in a hurry all the time. We don't know what a slow pace of life is, we want it and we want it now!

Really there are very few people that smoke out here. At least that I run across, I hear people saying they want to but it never goes through. Out of everyone I know I am the only one that smokes.

That's odd. People in Cali don't have 16 hours to cook dinner?

Obviously, it depends on where you are.

Around here, BBQing is a generic term for anything cooked over coals outside. Most common is on a grill (covered or not) followed by smoking in a covered heat source.

Smoking or slow cooking is good for sitting around outside, drinking beer and tending to the cooking although it is very rarely looked at if you have controls and thermometers.

My friend does a lot of smoking/BBQing and in the case of big chucks of cow, pig, venison or moose, he starts it before going to bed with the right amount of chips in a pan in a electric grill that has good controls and is heavy. He looks at it somewhere in the early morning to add anything necessary and schedules it for afternoon eating.

Smoking of fish like salmon, whitefish is popular, but a little cooler, and some people check it by the calender instead of a clock(LOL).

If you get caught smoking a good fish like good, small walleye might get you arrested, but that is local tradition.

Dick

We don't eat a lot of fish in Texas, and to BBQ is sacrilege.

I will be giving it a try this weekend. I'm a rebel. I don't eat fish but my wife and kids do.

I'm also thinking of doing a pork butt. We don't do a lot of pork in Texas, but I'm tired of beef.

I might get shot for saying that.

I'm a smoked with a good dry rub kind of guy. Nothing beats it.

We are all over the place.

In my house...the wife like dry rub...I like it just barely wet but not too sweet.

I like it all. I don't like the idea of BBQ fish though. That makes me gag thinking about it.

I used my new smoker over the weekend and made some of the best pulled pork I have ever had.

I built it. not quite done but it works great! I used the same recipe I always do except I made a Carolina style mustard BBQ sauce that was pretty great.

photo (1).jpg

I've never tried it but it can't be bad.

We don't eat a lot of fish in Texas, and to BBQ is sacrilege.

I will be giving it a try this weekend. I'm a rebel. I don't eat fish but my wife and kids do.

I'm also thinking of doing a pork butt. We don't do a lot of pork in Texas, but I'm tired of beef.

I might get shot for saying that.

Since I've lived in Texas since '75 and have eaten BBQ during all those years I find it odd you say it's mainly beef & we don't do a lot of pork. Most all BBQ joints I've been to here offer, brisket, sausage (which is usually pork), ribs more often pork than beef, & chicken. Many will do other birds, mainly turkey, and some will do cabrito (baby goat for you yankees).

This time of year folks will be doing dove wraps and when deer season starts deer sausage & whole wild pigs. Those would not be sold at BBQ joints tho but, at home BBQ's.

Personally I like doing up fish too, mahi mahi on the smoker for fish tacos, redfish on the halfshell and the trout I catch down on the guadalupe river during trout season. If I manage to catch one over 18" and it's a holdover that's a real treat on the smoker, very much like smoked salmon. Had grilled tilapia caught in Lake Travis last thursday for lunch, yum.

Since I've lived in Texas since '75 and have eaten BBQ during all those years I find it odd you say it's mainly beef & we don't do a lot of pork. Most all BBQ joints I've been to here offer, brisket, sausage (which is usually pork), ribs more often pork than beef, & chicken. Many will do other birds, mainly turkey, and some will do cabrito (baby goat for you yankees).

This time of year folks will be doing dove wraps and when deer season starts deer sausage & whole wild pigs. Those would not be sold at BBQ joints tho but, at home BBQ's.

Personally I like doing up fish too, mahi mahi on the smoker for fish tacos, redfish on the halfshell and the trout I catch down on the guadalupe river during trout season. If I manage to catch one over 18" and it's a holdover that's a real treat on the smoker, very much like smoked salmon. Had grilled tilapia caught in Lake Travis last thursday for lunch, yum.
You have to forgive Austin, he lives a sheltered life.

Latest posts

Back