Pay flooring guy by the hour, day or job?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My house has no transitions at all. It runs about 70 feet by 15 foot in two rooms and a hallway. Been there a few years and looks great still.

The reason a pro won't install it without the transitions is warranty. Without them, there is none. So if/when it fails, the pro would be responsible to replace it out-of-pocket.
Thanks!
My engineered flooring manufacturer told me "for floating click-lock installs, the 55 year warranty is voided, if transitions are not used per installation instructions on all doorways, passageways or wall openings of 5' or less...as well as "floor spanning greater than 35 feet in length or width" and "floor areas interrupted by wall sections extending out of the wall, or floor areas which are not rectangular."...

Why would the lack of transitions void the warranty?
Per manufacturer..."Because it's a floating click lock install and the floor needs the transitions to expand & contract properly.".

So, I guess it comes down to looks vs warranty?!

Last edited:
Pro flooring installers normally work by the sq. ft.
Thanks!
If a job measured 915sq ft but to account for waste 1000sg ft of the flooring was purchased, would pro flooring installers, who normally work by the sq ft charge by the 915 sq ft "measured" or the 1000 sg ft "purchased" ??

The amount purchased if they have to handle it.
Thanks!
So, if I already removed & hauled away the old flooring, underlayment & baseboards, and I'm providing new flooring (delivered & hauled to 2nd floor) along with underlayment & transitions, etc... ???

Last edited:
If you are doing all that why don’t you just snap the floor together and DIY and judge if you want to use the transition pieces or not. I found the flooring for the most part is reasonably priced and the trim is very pricey by comparison. You have done the hard part of the job.

Thanks!
My engineered flooring manufacturer told me "for floating click-lock installs, the 55 year warranty is voided, if transitions are not used per installation instructions on all doorways, passageways or wall openings of 5' or less...as well as "floor spanning greater than 35 feet in length or width" and "floor areas interrupted by wall sections extending out of the wall, or floor areas which are not rectangular."...

Per manufacturer..."Because it's a floating click lock install and the floor needs the transitions to expand & contract properly.".

So, I guess it comes down to looks vs warranty?!

So typical. Give a long warranty and then write out everything with disclaimers.

"The big type giveth and the little type taketh away."

At our house I put in a floor that ran out into a little mud room. I asked her if she wanted a strip or smooth floor between the rooms. She said no strip and I knew the mud room was an add on and no basement and there was some winter movement in that room. I told her we might get a little crack in a joint in the doorway. She didn’t mind she liked the smooth transition better. Now a pro isn’t going to be able to do that. Because he knows if a gap opens up he’s going to be called back. Just like your mechanic wont weld up a part or straighten something he will sell you a new one. They don’t want that responsibility.

I take it, if I already removed & hauled away the old flooring, underlayment & baseboards, and I'm providing new flooring (delivered & hauled to 2nd floor) along with underlayment & transitions, etc...Pro installers, who normally work by the sq ft charge by the amount measured.

That said, what all is typically included with pro installation i.e. remove & haul away the old flooring, underlayment & baseboards; provide new flooring, baseboards & all materials (delivered & moved into house), etc... prep sub floor, install new floor & baseboards, etc..?

So typical. Give a long warranty and then write out everything with disclaimers.

"The big type giveth and the little type taketh away."

Just like a carpet wear warranty. Nylon doesn't wear. The warranty is based on the length of the yarn. The yarn just loses its twist and gets ugly.

By sq foot is how the person should get paid, therefore time wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!
Only the one guy wanted to charge me by the day...Couldn't see that really working out.

No problem man. Remember by the day you'd have to literally sit and watch them work. They would stretch that day into a week if necessary and possible. I always try to find the best way to pay people, and if the person does a great job and quickly, make sure you tip.

I sold flooring both retail and mill sales for nearly 20 years; ALWAYS pay the installer by the square foor. Depending on your region the price should be $2.00-$2.50...Atlanta runs about that. He may charge a bit more is there is removal work and or "carry off." But no more than $3.00. And that is for a good bonded pro.

WE RUN A SERIES OF FLOORING STORES THROUGHOUT THE STATE AND IN BOTH OF OUR BRANDS (DOLLAR FLOOR & FLOOR FACTORY OUTLET) THE INSTALLERS/SUBCONTRACTORS GET PAID DIRECTLY FROM THE CUSTOMER AT THE END OF THE JOB UPON COMPLETION AND FULL SATISFACTION. FOR VINYL PLANK FLOORING THEY GET 1.00 PER SQUARE FOOT. IF YOU PAY THEM AT THE END OF THE JOB AND UPON COMPLETE SATISFACTION YOU ASSURE YOURSELF THAT THE INSTALL WILL OCCUR IN A TIMELY MANNER AND WITH DETAIL TO QUALITY. JUST MY OPINION. I CAN HOWEVER SEE IT FROM WHERE YOU ARE SITTING... PAYING THEM HOURLY COULD POTENTIALLY BE CHEAPER. THE THING ABOUT QUALITY LAMINATE AND VINYL CLICK FLOATING FLOORS IS THAT THEY BOTH GO IN VERY QUICKLY. SHOULDN'T TAKE MORE THAN 2 DAYS. :banana::clap::beer:

Installation Rates we use: 2.00 per sq ft engineered wood floors, 1.50 per sq ft laminate floors, 1.00 per sq ft vinyl plank and 4.00 per sq yrd carpet. The installs include moving furniture, pulling baseboards, removal of old carpet, installation of flooring and replacing furniture upon completion and when floor is ready.

CHARLES
DOLLAR FLOOR
www.justadollarfloor.com

Dollar Floor:
Orange City, FL 32763
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
Key Largo, FL 33037

Floor Factory Outlet:
Leesburg, FL
Ocala, FL
Titusville, FL
St. Augustine, FL

Last edited:
WE RUN A SERIES OF FLOORING STORES THROUGHOUT THE STATE AND IN BOTH OF OUR BRANDS (DOLLAR FLOOR & FLOOR FACTORY OUTLET) THE INSTALLERS/SUBCONTRACTORS GET PAID DIRECTLY FROM THE CUSTOMER AT THE END OF THE JOB UPON COMPLETION AND FULL SATISFACTION. FOR VINYL PLANK FLOORING THEY GET 1.00 PER SQUARE FOOT. IF YOU PAY THEM AT THE END OF THE JOB AND UPON COMPLETE SATISFACTION YOU ASSURE YOURSELF THAT THE INSTALL WILL OCCUR IN A TIMELY MANNER AND WITH DETAIL TO QUALITY. JUST MY OPINION. I CAN HOWEVER SEE IT FROM WHERE YOU ARE SITTING... PAYING THEM HOURLY COULD POTENTIALLY BE CHEAPER. THE THING ABOUT QUALITY LAMINATE AND VINYL CLICK FLOATING FLOORS IS THAT THEY BOTH GO IN VERY QUICKLY. SHOULDN'T TAKE MORE THAN 2 DAYS. :banana::clap::beer:

Installation Rates we use: 2.00 per sq ft engineered wood floors, 1.50 per sq ft laminate floors, 1.00 per sq ft vinyl plank and 4.00 per sq yrd carpet. The installs include moving furniture, pulling baseboards, removal of old carpet, installation of flooring and replacing furniture upon completion and when floor is ready.

CHARLES
DOLLAR FLOOR
www.justadollarfloor.com

Dollar Floor:
Orange City, FL 32763
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
Key Largo, FL 33037

Floor Factory Outlet:
Leesburg, FL
Ocala, FL
Titusville, FL
St. Augustine, FL

No offense, but in my part of the country, with those labor rates, you would get the "worst of the worst".

No offense taken. Florida is very different than the rest of the country. You come here to retire and not work for sure. There are many corners of the country where you can make many times more money as a tradesman I agree. Keep in mind, here we sell through body porcelain rectified edge 24 x 24 tiles and even real engineered wood floors for only .99 per square foot. So it's all relevant I suppose. Other parts of the country these floors are selling for 3.00-4.00 per square foot and then of course command a much higher installation price as well I assume. The subs we use do excellent work and they each make in the 6 figures because we keep them very busy. Thanks for your comment and yeah, no offense taken.

Thomas

No offense taken. Florida is very different than the rest of the country. You come here to retire and not work for sure. There are many corners of the country where you can make many times more money as a tradesman I agree. Keep in mind, here we sell through body porcelain rectified edge 24 x 24 tiles and even real engineered wood floors for only .99 per square foot. So it's all relevant I suppose. Other parts of the country these floors are selling for 3.00-4.00 per square foot and then of course command a much higher installation price as well I assume. The subs we use do excellent work and they each make in the 6 figures because we keep them very busy. Thanks for your comment and yeah, no offense taken.

Thomas

I hope the wood you are selling doesn't come from LL. Most of the installers here won't touch it because of the poor quality.

Thanks for the info and yes I agree. I think LL had issues with their laminate though. The majority of our laminate comes from Germany and Sweden and ALL of our laminate is carb compliant. I'm not sure how LL got into that whole mess but it has been just that, a mess for them. We're in no way affiliated with them and the products that we sell aren't even from the same universe. The flooring we were discussing is the engineered wood flooring though. It's real wood. Everything in our businesses is good quality and only a buck a foot. I'm not here to advertise for free so I'll leave it at that. Just answering your question. I hear what you are saying and I don't think the installers around these parts would want to touch it either. :banana:

Thank you for your thoughts

Just like a carpet wear warranty. Nylon doesn't wear. The warranty is based on the length of the yarn. The yarn just loses its twist and gets ugly.

While mostly applicable, not always true. While nylon does have better wear qualities than most other synthetic fibers, the buyer needs to know WHAT he is purchasing...is he buying filament or spun? That is a difference maker in itself, as a standard 6,6 filament nylon will out wear most spun yarns unless the carpet is a super dense 10 guage high stitch...too many factors to determine the wear of just the fiber only; I had a spun yarn 65oz 10guage spun in my house for 15 years that wore like iron, while my neigbor had a 48 oz filament that had to be replaced after about 8 years. Twist, guage, density, type of nylon...all factor into the wear of a carpet.

CHARLES
DOLLAR FLOOR
www.justadollarfloor.com

Dollar Floor:
Orange City, FL 32763
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
Key Largo, FL 33037

Floor Factory Outlet:
Leesburg, FL
Ocala, FL
Titusville, FL
St. Augustine, FL

Charles is spot on accurate with this assertation. This almost souinds like it came out of the NWFA handbook (National Wood Flooring Association NOFMA guide. Best info yet. Bravo!

Thanks for the info and yes I agree. I think LL had issues with their laminate though. The majority of our laminate comes from Germany and Sweden and ALL of our laminate is carb compliant. I'm not sure how LL got into that whole mess but it has been just that, a mess for them. We're in no way affiliated with them and the products that we sell aren't even from the same universe. The flooring we were discussing is the engineered wood flooring though. It's real wood. Everything in our businesses is good quality and only a buck a foot. I'm not here to advertise for free so I'll leave it at that. Just answering your question. I hear what you are saying and I don't think the installers around these parts would want to touch it either. :banana:

Thank you for your thoughts

LL=heretics.

Lets just say, after being in the business 42 years as rep, store owner, inspector and installer, I will disagree with you.

Back