blower problems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearyogi

Reaction score
I have an older miller furnace, and when it gets below 25 degrees outside, the furnace kicks on, as it should, but the blower will kick on for about 3 seconds, then shuts off for 3 seconds, then kicks on for 3 secs, and kicks off, this can go on for several times before the blower will stay on for a while.

Is there a temp switch somewhere telling the blower when to kick on, that can be bad, or maybe the capacitor? It's been doing this for yrs, am surprised the motor hasn't burned out yet.
Thanks for any help

I have an older miller furnace, and when it gets below 25 degrees outside, the furnace kicks on, as it should, but the blower will kick on for about 3 seconds, then shuts off for 3 seconds, then kicks on for 3 secs, and kicks off, this can go on for several times before the blower will stay on for a while.

Is there a temp switch somewhere telling the blower when to kick on, that can be bad, or maybe the capacitor? It's been doing this for yrs, am surprised the motor hasn't burned out yet.
Thanks for any help
Yes there is a fan switch that turns the blower on. In the colder weather the air interring the front of the furnace near the floor in cooler so it is turning the blower off. There should be a fan switch right in the front of the furnace. It will say F and a no. Easy to change it. Use the same setting switch. Paul

my cold air comes in from the top of the furnace, and the switches are not marked, but, I changed out the fan switch showing on the manual, and it seems to be working fine now!!!! Thanks for the input.

Would you recommend changing out the blower motor now, since it has been working over time, for years!!! ?

Thanks again,

my cold air comes in from the top of the furnace, and the switches are not marked, but, I changed out the fan switch showing on the manual, and it seems to be working fine now!!!! Thanks for the input.

Would you recommend changing out the blower motor now, since it has been working over time, for years!!! ?

Thanks again,

Take the blower out and check the curved fins and make sure they are clean.
See if your motor has oiler's, put a few drops in each end. Hang on to the motor and grab the shaft and see if you have any up and down play. You will have some end play in and out.. Most these motors are sealed bearings and the will last about 10 yrs. This will give you an idea what shape it is in..
It is important to take those blower out every few years and clean them out. This also depends on your filtering system and how often you change it. Paul

I will take the blower out and clean it. It's never been cleaned, that I know of, and it's 15yrs old, but I do keep my filters clean. Thanks a lot for your help!
Pam

Back