Water following sewer pipe into basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mok78

Reaction score
I had my sewer line from the house to the street replaced and since then I have been getting a large amount of rain and ground water in my basement and it seems to be following the sewer line. The water is coming in my basement up from the floor in the area where the sewer line enters the house, and it also is coming up further inside the house in cracks in the floor above the sewer line.

This is much more than normal trickles of water, this can be up to like a gallon a minute type of water, that runs across the floor to a floor drain.

I am going to have a sump pump and drain tile system installed, but I don't like the idea of a channel along the sewer pipe that brings water to the foundation from 20-30 feet away in my yard.

Any ideas how to stop this????

Welcome to the site.
Sounds more like the perimeter drain around the outside was damaged and not repaired. Call that guy back.

It can work but keeping it out from under the house is always better. How deep is house foundation under ground?

Thanks for the comments. VERY much appreciated. So the idea of sump pump and interior drain tile could be a workable long term solution?

Let clarify the work sewer that was done. From the house to the street is about 45 feet. I had an existing clay pipe. They dug about 10 foot long trench in my yard near the street and another trench near my house. They then inserted a smaller diameter PVC pipe inside the clay pipe. The clay pipe was broken off completely about 5-10 feet from the foundation. They actually pulled this last 10 feet clay pipe from inside the house using a wench and all types of tugging and shifting and trauma to break it loose.

To complicate a little more, there is a front porch over the line of the pipe.

Anyways, ever since, long hard rains and water comes in up the floor along the run of the pipe. And this spring it was a disaster.

Thanks for any additional thoughts on this!

It is possible your weeping tiles were tied into the sewer line. From your description if that was true it is no longer true. They pulled the new pipe past the connection point of the weepers without a connection.

Weeping tiles, the drain around the exterior of your foundation. If they dug 10 feet away from your house and yours had a connection like this to the sewer line, then it sounds like they did not connect them to the new drain when they dragged the new pipe in.

weeping-tile-connection-to-leader-line.jpg

Last edited:
Mok78: sure, you can find a way to evacuate the water from the basement. But these guys created a problem that wasn't there in the first place. You should call them to task on it and have them repair the problem. I bet the space between the old clay pipe and the new PVC is now a channel that fills with ground water and that is transported right into your basement. At the very least, those guys should seal the gap at both ends, and you should not let them off the hook.

I would complain to them first and see what they say, but with the front porch over the area the interior drain and sump would likely be the best solution and maybe you could talk them into paying for part of that.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. For now, I am going with sump pump and interior drain tile and I will contact the original contractor.

This summer when it dries up, I am considering excavating about a 10 foot long trench from the foundation out, maybe a 3 feet wide, and a foot or 2 below the pipe.

Any ideas what type of material to use as fill to stop water from following along pipe trench?

Thanks again.

Weeping tile run around the outside of the foundation at or around the level of the footing and often run to the road to conect to city storm sewer. This run to the road is often in the same trench with the sewer pipe. On a bad day they will be to close together or even connected together. The feeling here is that is where the problem lies. If you suddenly have water problems after you had work done on the sewer pipe, there is a good chance there was damage done to the second pipe.

Back