remodeling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riley1234198

Reaction score
Hi,

Have a ? im doing a complete remodeling job on a house i just picked up for a rental. The walls and ceilings are plaster and lath. I plan on gutting the whole house my ? is can i leave the existing ceiling (10 foot) in place since there is around 24+ inches blown installation. I plan on dropping the ceiling to 8 foot. So i was thinking can i use a hole saw 2-3 inch and use pvc pipe long enuff to go above the blown installation so air can circulate between the new and existing ceiling? I do plan on blowing in installation on the new 8 foot ceiling also.
Thanks,
Riley

I guess im looking trying to save some time. I work 50-55 hours a week at my job which leaves me only the weekend to redo this house which i shooting to have it done before the snow falls.

I'm like Oldog, why? If you are doing a drop I wouldn't insulate it. If you piped up like you suggested you would be defeating all the insulation in the attic.

You DO NOT want attic air circulating over that dropped ceiling. There's already 24" in the attic and if your geographic area requires more, add it into the attic.

mabloodhound,

So i can just sheetrock the 8' ceiling and not insulate that just add to the 24" that is there. My biggest concern was condensation between the 8' and 10' dead space so that shouldnt happen?

That dead air space is a good thing.
If you're hanging sheetrock, remember that you must provide a complete framing system to hold the weight. Those sheets weigh 55# each and you don't want them coming down on someone.
A suspended ceiling would be a better alternative if you must lower it.
Still not sure why you want it lower.

Dave Mason

Ok thanks my next ? should i go with 2x4 on 16 center and 1/2" sheet rock or go with 2x6 on 24" center and 1/2" sheet rock? Most of the rooms are no wider than 12' one i think is 17'6".

I think with 2x6 on 24" center and 1/2" sheet rock is better.. it just my opinion

For me, the higher ceilings are much more attractive than the usual, broing 8' ceilings. You could avoid all this hassle by putting time and effort into improving the "classier" tall ceilings. Add insulation to the attic and celebrate!

Gutting the walls is enough! Why pick on the ceilings too??

5/8" drywall for ceiling with 24" on center. Why not just add drywall to the 10' ceiling evan if you don't remove the plaster?

Back