Suggestions for hanging fixture?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHammer

Reaction score
I've had an antique dental light fixture rewired for use in a guest bath. I want to hang the fixture from a 12' ceiling, but I don't like the look of chain. It weighs about 10 pounds... not very heavy, but not light either. I do like the simple look of just the cord, but the existing cord probably isn't strong enough (or safe). Anyone have a suggestion? Anyone know of a load-bearing 'sheath' that the cord run through? Thanks.

Take a look at the cable used for low voltage cable lights. It would be more than strong enough. Mount a good solid anchor into the ceiling joists, then bring your power cable through a cover on a pancake box adjacent to the mounting point. Spiral the wire around the cable to get to your fixture.

Thanks for the suggestion K... you're not suggesting powering through the low voltage cable, right? I am hoping to find something jacketed wiht enough rated strength to do the job. Alternatively, I could use a braided sleeve (though not sure how that would look). I keep seeing hanging fixtures that are hanging from the cord... the fixtures appear heavy and the cords look like they are coated with a thick, plastic jacket. I don't even know what to call this kind of cord in order to google it. Any more help will be appreciated!

Hello Hammer:
I would use SJ cable which is often used for extension cords. It comes in 14-3 and 12-3 wire sizes; 12-3 being the heaviest. Use knots in the cord or cable clamps but be sure you don't overtighten; the wire could be damaged.
Glenn

Back