Hi all, Tile guy from Michigan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaz

Ceramic Tile Pro - retired
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I got an invite to join this forum. I wasn't sure I wanted to be part of any group that would have ME for a member?:D

I'm a ceramic tile setter and so I may be able to answer questions for anyone who asks this forum or perhaps share ideas with members? I am sure we will!

Jaz

Hey Jaz,

Welcome to the forum! Tile guy? There's a place for you. I have seen a few tile questions. Look around, have fun, be a regular!

See ya'
Tom in KY, never made a mistake? Must be nice. My ex-wife would be happy to point many of mine out.(along with many imperfections)

for my first ever tile project, i tiled a kitchen countertop with ceramic 12" tile, sanded grout. then, out of broken ceramic tile, i covered the backsplash that runs up to a 10 ft ceiling with a freehand mosaic, again with sanded grout. it looks amazing, but i'm concerned that the sealer may not have been adequate. i'm not so concerned about the backsplash, but on most of the countertop grout, liquid continues to soak in rather than bead. i used the the most expensive sealer that home depot has to offer, and did several applications. is this normal, or is there something more i can do to protect my investment? thx for any insight you can provide!

Hello Hen,

That backsplash sounds nice, sure takes a lot of time doesn't it?

I guess you bought the sealer in the green plastic bottle? I normally use AquaMix or MiracleSealants. I have used the sealer you used but have little knowledge on how it behaves. I think that it should be about as good as anything available, especially after a few coats.

Many people have the wrong impression on what grout sealer actually does. Sealer does not completely seal the grout as compared for example like varnish pretty much seals a wood surface. Grout sealer only reduces the staining of the grout by slowing its penetration. Usually you may have as much as 20- 30 minutes to wipe spills before they start to soak in. If sealers completely sealed the grout, they would surely peel off when some moisture entered below the grout thru some tiny crack or void. They are designed to breath.

Wouldn't hurt to thoroughly clean and apply more.

Jaz

jaz,
thanks for the helpful info. my concern stemmed from the fact in some areas of grout, water beads nicely, but absorbs in other areas, even though it was all the same batch of grout. certainly i can apply more coats of the same sealer, but would there be any problem with applying one of the other brands you mentioned on top of the other stuff (don't know the name, dark green bottle)?

thx!

Hey Jaz,
Glad your on this forum. I made a huge mistake and started taking my bathroom tile up. There is black asphalt backing under it. I have already put an adhesive remover on it. It has completely gummed up and is hardly coming off. This stuff I'm using is called Sentinal 747 plus. It is not doing the job. It has petroleum distillate in it. Is there anything I can do at this point or do I have to just keep scraping? I would appreciate any advice.
Help
Sarah

So sorry, Jaz has been banned for his belligerent behavior.

Back