Camping

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the deal where you go out in the woods
and play like yer homeless for a few days :confused:

You got it! It helps us remember how great we actually have it.

Rent a big camper and set it up where everyone else tents it and pretend you are the rich guy in the nieghbourhood.

We had one of those in our group. The had a large motor home. The only convenience they didn't have was their Swimming Pool.

As I get older, the sleeping on the ground thing has less appeal. However, if it gets me closer to the fishing or the hunting then it is all good.

The smell of a good hardwood fire first thing in the morning with a hot cup of coffee is something I always enjoy. Add in the smell of bacon frying and I am in heaven. :)

Last edited:
We had one of those in our group. The had a large motor home. The only convenience they didn't have was their Swimming Pool.

I had a relative that did the same thing. We were younger so we were sleeping in cars and tents or wherever we passed out, but they had everything. They would be watching TV instead of fireflies. It was sad.

I would have traded with some relatives one time. They had air conditioning and I was sleeping in a tent with a fan. I don't think it ever got less than 85 at night and 100 during the day. One of those prescheduled trips where the weather was murder even on the water.

That's all the summer trips down here! If you're not sweating while you sleep in a tent it's peculiar.

Here is my vehicle of choice for camping. It’s not quite fully loaded in this photo the sleeping gear goes on the front rack that was a DIY project. The back basket holds food supplies. The rear panniers hold some clothes and supplies the tent and sleeping pad go on top of them. In the front panniers not shown but smaller goes the kitchen. The handle bar bag holds all the navigation aids and electronics and the iPhone that turns into a 100 other gadgets with apps.
The gearing I custom designed to have a super low range to move my old body, bike and gear up the rolling hills of Pa.

I have visions of doing some extended long camping tours but for now most of my camping is 50 miles or less from home. It’s a great way to see the sites if you are in no hurry.

WindsorTourist1_zpse61efa9d.jpg

Camping? Hilton Hotel for the weekend. Refuse room service and require a B&W TV. If I want fish, I order salmon in the restaurant at night. Whine? Not allowed unless you spell it "w-i-n-e."

Honestly, if you have been in the Army, camping loses all its rustic appeal. :D

Honestly, if you have been in the Army, camping loses all its rustic appeal.
I can relate to that! However, it began to be fun again after a few years as a civilian.

The bike is about 35 pounds without any of the stuff attached and loaded with the bins and panniers its about 45 pounds. Most tourists travel with between 20 and 50 pounds of gear. On a short trip you take along comfort items and travel a little heavy so my guess is about 70 pounds plus my fat butt. If you travel fairly flat lands a 100 pound bike isn’t a problem but oh boy when you come to a 6% grade do you work even with the gearing.

Some of the people doing trans America rides go super light all the camping gear comes to 15 pounds they measure the load in grams.

My gearing is so low turning the crank at 100 RPM gives me about 4 or 5 MPH in my lowest gear. That extra weight really gets you going downhill though.

Camping? Hilton Hotel for the weekend. Refuse room service and require a B&W TV. If I want fish, I order salmon in the restaurant at night. Whine? Not allowed unless you spell it "w-i-n-e."

Honestly, if you have been in the Army, camping loses all its rustic appeal. :D

I don't even know where you would find a black and white nowadays. I think you would just have to adjust the color on a flat screen.

Still couldn't go. I have a bunch of good stories?

Well I guess you'll have to see. I do carry coffee with me everywhere and I'm willing to share it.

Latest posts

Back