Hairline cracks in my living room ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYtrainwreck

Reaction score
Good Morning All,
I am new to this forum and new to DIY Home Repairs.
I have hairline cracks in my living room ceiling. They kind of form a "T". They are about 4' in length. From my research (google/YouTube) I believe they are settling cracks. From what I have read and watched it should be from the drywall tape splitting.
If this is the case, the course of action should be removing old tape, applying new tape, packing/covering with spackling (I have DryDex).
Am I right so far? Is the plan to fix it good?

Thank you very much for any input.

Welcome.

Something to keep in mind, you may be at this for years.

You can peel all the tape off in the offending rows, or just to the point of progression.

If the latter, cut strait across the tape joint slanting the knife at a 45 degree angle which will give your new mud a wider area of adhesion. use fiberglass, self adhesive tape.

I don't work with spackle, just hot mud, so I have no point of reference for tooling that product.

Thank you Snoonyb.
I have heard of the hot mud but have not used it. Any advice for using the hot mud?

It depends upon how quick you are.

I use 5min. and 20min. mixed 2-20min:1-5min to a consistency of loose peanut-butter, and apply with a 6" knife.

You can adjust the working time by adjusting the formula to fit you comfort level.

You apply only to fill level, and build with successive applications.

There are some YOU TUBE videos that may give you some incite.

I'd also be adding some screws before retaping to make sure nothing is moving up there.

Good Afternoon joecaption.....
Thank you for the advice. Where would I put the screws?

Good Afternoon joecaption.....
Thank you for the advice. Where would I put the screws?

Generally these cracks appear on the seams and ceiling board is typically 5/8", so use 1-5/8" coarse thread in the same line of the other fasteners and between them. There is also the potential of failure in using to many fasteners.

Just a quick question, since we have no idea of the age of your house....are you sure it's drywall? If you can post a pic or two, that might help us answer your question.
And welcome to the forum :welcome:

I would also research the use of fiberglass tape, I don't think this would be the appropriate place to use it, but I COULD be wrong:rofl:

Latest posts

Back