skim coating plaster

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenkz

Reaction score
im removing some plastic tiles from my kitchen, and when i remove the tile adhesive the wall is no longer flat. what should i use to skim coat the walls, they are plaster. i tried using joint compound in another room and all of the imperfections came right back through

First off :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Now when you say the wall is no longer flat, are you meaning there is still adhesive left on the wall or the plaster itself is not smooth and flat? A pic might help a bit.

when scraping off the adhesive its taking away a small amount of the plaster with it. so it looks pock marked, small gouges.

Joint compound I have used for years. It shrinks so it requires more than one application if you trowel it off flush. Normally the second coat will do the job. It sands very easy and is a plus for the guy that doesn’t get it on perfect. They have a special sand pad for it, looks like screen.

Bud I think the problem was, the patches showed up in the paint job, with the different texture of compound.

Could be I don’t know. I just patched at least 10,000 holes in old plaster with joint compound. I normally patch the holes sand some then hit them again sand a little more, then prime with Kilz 2 and then paint. If texture is a problem, then anything you patch with will have to match the texture. Larger holes and cracks I use the mesh tape on.

I know my dad told me a million times not to exaggerate.

You can certainly use joint compound but will have to apply at least two coats..good luck!

yeah i only did one coat of joint compound, thats probably what the problem was. thanks for the replies

Back