CAT6a through fire block

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4883

Reaction score
Ok, here's another good one.
I'm running CAT6a down, inside a wall to a wall jack.
The ceilings are 12'. 8' up or 4' down, there is a fire block.
How would you propose to install the fire caulk without having to cut into the drywall or go about this in a different manner?

Normally, if touch up paint and everything wasn't a problem, I'd suck it up but, I've got 8 of these to do.

For now the only options I could think of is to come out of the wall at the fire block and run wire mold externally from there.

Plan B is to drill a hole through the top plates from the attic and through the fire block and then install pvc or metal fence post into the hole extending beyond the fire block and all the way up into the attic, where fire caulk will fill the top of the pipe. The pipe O.D. and the hole I.D. will be snug enough so as to not allow air flow around the pipe.

Are you sure it is a problem. As I understand it the wall wants to be fire stopped top and bottom. When studs are higher than 10 ft cross blocks are for stiffining the wall. When we do that, plumbers and electricions often get there first, we just flip the block to the flat. Never had one fail or dealt with any complaints.

Fire block is the primary purpose of the cross blocks, stiffing is an added bonus.

Nevermind, found it, which is a supprise in itself.
So I learned something today.:D Odd that we have never been called on it.
Vert. cavity should be blocked every 3 m or 10ft
Back to your first question, I like the drill and pipe idea, don't see why that wouldn't work. It's just to figure out how to do it. Have you got a plan for that.

Just a really long drill bit to go down past 4+ feet from the top plate.
Then hammer the pipe into the hole and fill the top with fire caulk after feeding the cables down the pipe.
In this case they installed 4'x8' drywall vertically and then 4'x8' drywall horizontally to create a 12' ceiling.
They used 8's when they studded the wall so coincidentally the fire block is at 8' not 10'.

Do you think finding the hole will be easy enough to put the pipe in or do you have a back up plan for that and will you have room above for that long of pipe?

I have a couple of flexible 5' long drill bits, which make fast work of the fire blocks while chasing wires. These drill bits are primarily used in the home security alarm business, but have seen them recently in the big box hardware stores.

Latest posts

Back