Basement bathroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shovelshort

Reaction score
I am finishing a bathroom rough-in in my basement and have a couple of questions.

Sink cabinet (wood) - is is safe to just place it on the bare concrete, or will it absorb moisture from the floor? Should I put something under it? I am going to tile the floor, so should I put it on the tile?

Toilet flange - my parents tiled their existing bathroom and had to use two wax rings on the toilet flange after tiling. Should I tile up to the drain and install the flange, or install the flange and tile up to it?

Hey Shovelshort:
I would seal the bottom and back of the vanity with 2 or 3 coats of spar varnish. Then procede with the tile and wall finish however you please.
Likewise on the toilet flange, use whichever method that will give you the best anchorage. When you are ready to set the toilet you can buy a closed cell foam gasket, $3 or less. It will be resilient and maintain a seal for years, whereas the wax bowl ring will leak with the first wobble of the bowl. It happens in the best of instalations. To help with the wobble you can cut some pieces of PVC pipe (cut off the end at a very slight angle) and place them to stop any wobble. Then liberally caulk the bowl to the floor with white tub and tile silicone caulk.
Glenn

I'll do that. I may even add some silicone caulk on the bottom for safe measure. The wall is already finished with drywall so back of cabinet should be fine.

I'll lag the toilet flange into the concrete and tile up to it. That will be the strongest and I'll use the closed cell flange you are talking about.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Back