Cracking ceiling and wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because the ceiling is smooth and not tectured, it's possible to make a nearly invisible repair with the caulk. Once you get the crack filled in, go back with the credit card and squeeze the caulk onto the edge of the card and scree it over the filled crack. Let it dry and add another coat if needed until you get it level with the ceiling. Paint right over it. You'll be surprised how good it looks.

Because the ceiling is smooth and not tectured, it's possible to make a nearly invisible repair with the caulk. Once you get the crack filled in, go back with the credit card and squeeze the caulk onto the edge of the card and scree it over the filled crack. Let it dry and add another coat if needed until you get it level with the ceiling. Paint right over it. You'll be surprised how good it looks.

Thanks thats what we needed.

Wow, those sure are not the typical drywall cracks I have ever seen. Almost looks more like a rupture due to very high sudden stress. For sure you will want to find what caused these before you repair this or you might have exactly the same thing happen again.

Wow, those sure are not the typical drywall cracks I have ever seen. Almost looks more like a rupture due to very high sudden stress. For sure you will want to find what caused these before you repair this or you might have exactly the same thing happen again.

I thought the same thing, almost like the framing was sagging a bit. Could there have been a door there at on time that was removed? A picture of the other side of that wall might yield some clues.

Concrete block post 7

I saw that. The question was more about whether there had been a door there and any new block installed not done correctly. A picture of the block would help determine that.

No there was no door there or any kind of renovation done.

I don't think there's any sudden stress since this has developed over time.

Is the whole house built with block or just the garage. If they are two buildings side by side and tied together, one may have settled a little pulling at things?????????

From the outside everything including the garage is made of brick, I don't know what's between the brick and the inside walls (the inside walls of the garage are gray concrete blocks).

I don't think they are two buildings, the house is a backsplit, the lower roof encompasses the entire main level including the garage. The main level consists of kitchen, livingroom, diningroom and foyer.

From the outside everything including the garage is made of brick, I don't know what's between the brick and the inside walls (the inside walls of the garage are gray concrete blocks).

I don't think they are two buildings, the house is a backsplit, the lower roof encompasses the entire main level including the garage. The main level consists of kitchen, livingroom, diningroom and foyer.

That's a mix of construction methods. Most houses are wood framed and then have brick as siding and would have wood framing in the garage also.
So we don't no if the wood framing for the house with block beside it for the garage or of the wall was just attached to the block but they are tied together. The way the cracks look you could think there was a door or window there at one time..
You might find a crack in the foundation of the house near the garage in the front or the back or both. That would mean that either the house or the garage is moving just a bit as they are tied together, something has to give.
I would say fix it once and watch it, if things change again then you want to dig in and see whats going on.
If you do find a crack in the foundation you want put to marks one on each side of the crack say 2" apart, so later you can measure it again and again to make sure things arn't moving.

Welcome to the site. I have found this the BEST group of people EVER. It is important to know location--sink hole or freezing--big difference. Besides, why has the garage wall brick been smoothed on the right but not on the left. Way more to this story! If it were me, I'd be tearing it all off! Never want to second guess something that substantial.

I concur with the Big Stretch recommendation. It is a great product and easy to use. No, I don't work for them. But it really does last a long time and doesn't dry out or crack.

Latest posts

Back