GFI Outlet / Seperate Light Switch - Light won't turn off!?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Housedoctor: It may be a little early for that judgement, but evan if you are right, I try to immagine the discussion in that house.
Total frustration when what appears to be a simple job just will not come together. Sometimes the wife finding the answer on the internet will solve the problem but may do little to clear the air. Keeping us happy may be last thing on the to do list.

Thank you for this - you're right - the level of frustration is absolutely there. :)

I think I attached a wiring diagragm to this we will see if it works. Maybe it will help simplify things. I hate to have you hire an electrician (nothing against them) but this should be pretty straight forward. Plus the sense of accomplishment when it works.

Last edited:
I think I attached a wiring diagragm to this we will see if it works. Maybe it will help simplify things. I hate to have you hire an electrician (nothing against them) but this should be pretty straight forward. Plus the sense of accomplishment when it works.

I don't see any attachment. Hmmm - but that may be operator error on my end as well. I wonder if it would work better if you private messaged it to me? Then I can post it for others who may be in this situation. :)

And, thank you for your effort. :)

Last edited:
:banana: This is me because I think I managed to upload my diagragm. I hope it makes things clearer than mud. Let me know if it helps.

AWESOME!!!! THANK YOU!!! I'll print this and show it to him!! :clap::clap:

nobody was upset cheri.
Let's start over step by step.
1. the source white and black go the line side of the gfi
2. Make a white and black pig tail. (wire about 8 to 10 onches long)
3 Connect the pigtails to the load side of the gfi.
4 Now you have four wires connected to the gfi, double check that white is to white screws and black to black screws, they are marked.
5. With a wire nut connect the white pigtail to the white from the light and the white from the other plug.
6. Make another black pigtail and wire nut it to the first pigtail along with the black from the other plug.
7. Now you have a black wire from the light and a black pigtail, they both go the switch.
I hope this helps.

Thank you, all!! He got it working using FireGuy's diagram!! We really appreciate all of your help!

Congrats and thanks for posting the results.
Go see a movie or have a nice dinner on the money you saved.

nealtw said:
Pigtail short wires from the load side of the gfi and attach the light and the extra plug to those pig tails. the source wires go the line side of the gfi.

No. Do not wire this way.

I know it says that in the code, just before the excepts. I don't quite understand the arguement. The lights are already slave to power outages and the breaker but what you are saying is sorta in the code and is industry practise. Fair enough, but just saying no to someone with out explanation dosn't help people learn.
Thanx, Neal

nealtw said:
I know it says that in the code, just before the excepts. I don't quite understand the arguement. The lights are already slave to power outages and the breaker but what you are saying is sorta in the code and is industry practise. Fair enough, but just saying no to someone with out explanation dosn't help people learn.
Thanx, Neal

Got a code reference?

nealtw said:

Guess I should live in Mass.
Checked it out-if new install, then it is permissible-but not required.
I just would not want to be on toilet or in shower and lights go out just b/c the GFCI tripped for some reason.
To me, it's an inconvenience. I wire bathrooms where the home run goes to the switch box, power goes from here to GFCI and then onto other outlets and power to one side of the switch and the lighting switch leg to the other side. This way the lights are controlled only by the switch.
It's unpractical to take power to the outlets and THEN to the switch for lighting. I've never seen it done and will NEVER do it that way.
I only want other outlets to be slave to the GFCI.
To me, lighting is separate from power. It's the way I've done it for 20+ years.

Fair enough but go back on this whole story and see if anyone asked if the switches were far enough away from the shower or the placement of the fan and the reach of a hand held shower head. Cheri and her hubby were to frustrated to answer twenty more questions, so help them get it working, as safe as possible and then go back and ask the other questions and make suggestions on possibly changing it. Just don't assume everything else is safe in the room, if you were there you would have looked at all this stuff.
If one of these kicks while you are on the toilet, you do have a problem:rolleyes:

nealtw said:
Fair enough but go back on this whole story and see if anyone asked if the switches were far enough away from the shower or the placement of the fan and the reach of a hand held shower head. Cheri and her hubby were to frustrated to answer twenty more questions, so help them get it working, as safe as possible and then go back and ask the other questions and make suggestions on possibly changing it. Just don't assume everything else is safe in the room, if you were there you would have looked at all this stuff.
If one of these kicks while you are on the toilet, you do have a problem:rolleyes:

Neal,
I read that first paragraph 2-3 times and I have no idea what your talking about.

Unfortunately, we can't have the lights going off if/when the GFI trips. You will need to power the lights directly from the source and not through the GFI. The only thing I saw missing in the OP's diagram was a lack of neutral & ground to the light fixutres.

Sorry Sparky, I was out-numbered on this one. I tried but, fell on deaf ears without a code reference.

Back