help me fix concrete damaged from asbestos tile removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodacious

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for viewing.

Long story short: Asbestos tile was removed from the basement before purchasing the house (I know this wasn't the best idea, I wasn't in the picture then). Whatever they used to "professionally" remove the tile left the flooring below a disaster. There are large shallow divots spread throughout the entire floor. I've been searching the interwebs looking for the best solution but so far haven't found anything that address this exact issue.

That said I figured I would see if someone could perhaps shed some light as my knowledge is rather limited in this area.

I've read about rubberized concrete, self leveling stuff, just patching the divots by hand with Portland... nothing addresses areas of this size...
Some pics below:

lots%20of%20pics%20537.jpg

lots%20of%20pics%20540.jpg

Thank you.

no big deal - we do that all the time when removing tile, thinset, linoleum, fake/real wood, carpet - anything,,, just a normal part of the work,,, we use chipping guns, scarifiers, & grinders to remove then polymer-modified mtls to bring the surface back - our mtl of choice is eliteCrete but there are other brands avail,,, NONE of its avail from the apron stores, tho - NOTHING !

gypsum-bas'd mtls aren't satisfactory nor would we pick anything self-leveling or mapei brand - however, you don't mention what final covering you want,,, that would impact your choice, of course !

I was thinking tile or floating composite wood. I think the floating wood would be easiest/cheapest all a round. From what i hear I can just fill the deepest parts with portland by hand and slap the floor down.

Basically I'm looking for the easiest cheapest and best solution!
I know nothing is every cheap easy and good, so I'm will to sacrifice on the good or easy side rather than the cheap side.

yes, sounds good, don't it ?

ps - NEVER use the words ' easiest ' cheap, & best/good in the same sentence - never works !

best [the original] might-as-well-but-from-an-apron-store yic-yac

Back