Can Bricks Be Sanitized?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thapranksta

Home DIY Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I unfortunately purchased a home about a year ago where the previous owner had let animals (cat, dog, rodents) take over. There's a lot to get done but only very little money at the moment and I'm aware that it will take time to get everything in order. The latest issue that has been placed in the forefront is the spare bricks I have in my garage. The garage was over-run by rodents at one point in time and the bricks which had visible rodent droppings on them have remained in the same place they were when my family moved in a layered stack. At the time of move-in I removed the droppings off the top of them and sprayed the hell out of them with Chlorox outdoor bleach spray. Of course with them being stacked in multiple layers, I know I didn't hit every nook and stray area.

My question is - should I just get rid of the bricks as soon as possible or can they be sanitized and salvaged? The bricks match the exterior of my home and I can use them for different structures around the house if they can still be safely used plus I wouldn't have to worry about paying to get them hauled away.

Thanks.

If you don't mind the labor, you could get a plastic cement trough or even a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with strong bleach water. Just dip each brick and re-stack them. That should kill whatever is on them.

My other concern is that the rodents might come back .... making your hard work a waste of time!

Yes, that has definitely been a concern of mine as well. We have had scheduled pest control since we moved in and have not really seen much, if any, rodent droppings in the garage since the initial cleanup. Also lately I've been really trying to figure out a way to keep rodents out of there more definitely especially with the fall approaching. I know that is there favorite time to seek warmer areas.

Thanks for the great tip.

If you don't mind the labor, you could get a plastic cement trough or even a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with strong bleach water. Just dip each brick and re-stack them. That should kill whatever is on them.

My other concern is that the rodents might come back .... making your hard work a waste of time!

great tip~~ :agree:

Back