Should I plaster or tape my bathroom walls?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
Its a simple question, should I plaster or tape the walls in my bathroom. I am at the point where I need to put sheetrock up and I am trying to decide what is the best option or best recommendation. Thanks!

Inside the shower will be tile but this will be for everything else. Would it be better to use plaster or should i save the money and just paint the drywall. As you can tell I am a rookie...

You can't plaster directly over regular drywall. You need water resistant board, usually called blue board, though there are different colors.

And really, I think that a newbie who can't tape and bed a smooth dry wall is gonna have even more problems plastering entire wall smoothly. Mud is lots easier to sand, and you can do some final smoothing with damp sponge. If you are not happy with smoothness of your taped joints, consider a heavy texture to disguise it all.

I'm probably going to pay someone to plaster as I don't want to ruin my walls. I decided on 5/8 plaster board and got about 75% of it up this past weekend. Man that stuff is heavy

"5/8 plaster board... Man that stuff is heavy" Ya oughta try 3/4.

I'm still concerned, you've said sheetrock and plaster board, others have said drywall. You hung the proper stuff for plaster?

And the proper stuff for the tiled part?

I used 1/2" plaster board in the bathroom except for around the tub where i used 3/8 hardyboard. In the other rooms I hung 5/8 plaster board.

I do have one question, in some rooms I still have the original horse hair plaster walls, they stick out from the stud 1-1/4", so I need to match this thickness with new walls. Should I double up 5/8 or is there a 1" plaster board I should use. I'll try to get a picture and post it tonight. Thanks

I still got the concern, some people use "plaster board" as synonym for drywall or the trade name Sheetrock. It does not have the proper paper face needed to plaster over.

Other people use "plaster board" for blue board or other panels made for veneer plastering.

So if you are going to plaster, do not do it over regular dry wall. And, I still fel that tape and bed is easier for most DIYer's than plastering. You can skim coat drywall with mud and get a plaster look. The mud drys slower, you don't have to work as fast, and it is very easy to sand smooth if your trowling is not smooth.

No need to double panel walls. Do you have a table saw? You can rip 5/8"" strips from 2x and nail over studs, put 5/8 sheetrock over that. Rip strips from 5/8 plywood, they don't have to have consitant width or even straight sides. Cut strips of 5/8 sheet rock. nail 1X2 furring to studs and use 1/2" sheetrock if you are willing to have thinner panels. Some of the cheaper, rougher cut 1X2 furring strips sold at big boxes as furring are actually closer to 5/8 than 3/4.
Or use 1/2" plywood furring and 3/4 sheetrock. Like I said that's heavier than what you're using.

It must be true, neal, great minds sink ships. Or sumthin....Loose lips dribble soup and beer alike... It's just that your's types faster and in shorter responses.

I appreciate the concern, I purchased the plaster board/blue board from home depot. I only referenced it as plaster board as that is what they have it listed, although it is label blue, the face is grey.

Since I am using blue board, do I need to tape the joints or will the plaster fill the joints? Thanks

You always have to tape the joints. Evan your concrete board for the shower has special tape and you fill the joints with thin set.

Back