More wiring questions !

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiorunder

Reaction score
The length of wire needed to wire my cooktop is approx. 20 feet. I have 2 questions:

1.) What size wire should I use ?
2.) What size (amps) circuit breaker should I use ?

Thanks again.

John from NC

Need to know how many amps the cook top requires. Would be stated on an information plate on the cook top.

It is a new Frigidaire unit and the only specs I found on it were as follows: "All electric cooktops run off a single phase, 3-wire or 4-wire cable, 240/208volt, 60 hertz, AC only electrical supply with ground."

There will be a wattage or kW rating somewhere. Typically there is a sticker or plate right on the unit.

Without that we cannot give an answer. :help:

A 30A circuit would be legal, but a 40A circuit would afford some cushion and allow for a larger unit to be installed in the future.

A 30A circuit would require #10cu or #8al
A 40A circuit would require #8cu or #6al (possibly #8al depending on installation/application and code cycle followed).

Do the instructions mention a "4-wire" feed, or anything about requiring a neutral?

The instructions include wiring illustrations for both 3-wire and 4-wire installation.

OK, so this is a straight 240v appliance. The 4-wire illustration is only there for installations where this unit is replacing a unit with a 4-wire feed.

For your new circuit you would use 10/2 or 8/2 cable. IMO for what you are installing 10/2 is fine. Especially considering the short distance and that this is brand new unit. Any future upgrade, while unlikely any time soon, will not be very hard.

Latest posts

Back