DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Spraying Water Seal

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:41 AM  
Mastercarpenty
Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I've tried others and after seeing the results age, I only use Thompsons now; it lasts longer and applies better. On usual jobs I use a garden sprayer for the pickets then brush and roll the rest. Premium jobs get a completely brushed application.

The trick to spraying is to use a heavy coat, contrary to the label recommendations. In fact I go heavy with it all for the first coat, then a lighter second coat 1-2 weeks later after the first has soaked in, as I've found the wood lasts longest this way even if it's not maintained. In business, when considering 'waste' one has to factor in job-time; if the excess product used comes out cheaper than the labor cost of a more efficient method then there's no waste but savings instead. DIY labor is presumed "free" so you can decide which way to go. Brushed applications do look better IMHO.

Protect vegetation especially when spraying as this stuff kills it, even grass, if it gets enough one it- something I learned the hard way.

Phil

nealtw Likes This 
Old 10-25-2016, 11:30 AM  
VanMark
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercarpenty View Post
I've tried others and after seeing the results age, I only use Thompsons now; it lasts longer and applies better. On usual jobs I use a garden sprayer for the pickets then brush and roll the rest. Premium jobs get a completely brushed application.

The trick to spraying is to use a heavy coat, contrary to the label recommendations. In fact I go heavy with it all for the first coat, then a lighter second coat 1-2 weeks later after the first has soaked in, as I've found the wood lasts longest this way even if it's not maintained. In business, when considering 'waste' one has to factor in job-time; if the excess product used comes out cheaper than the labor cost of a more efficient method then there's no waste but savings instead. DIY labor is presumed "free" so you can decide which way to go. Brushed applications do look better IMHO.

Protect vegetation especially when spraying as this stuff kills it, even grass, if it gets enough one it- something I learned the hard way.

Phil
Did you thin it when you sprayed it?

Old 10-26-2016, 04:12 AM  
Mastercarpenty
Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 102

No thinning ,just stir well and open up the sprayer tip till I get a consistent flow. It's a pretty heavy flow so I move quickly with it. I use the cheapest 1 gal sprayer I can find and clean with thinner but the sprayers don't last long before they clog, something sticks, or the rubber in the pump gives up then I junk them. For me if I can schedule several jobs together I don't clean up as the overall process is cheaper to just buy another sprayer. Business works strangely sometimes!

IMHO the problem with garden sprayers and the 'buzz-bomb' paint sprayers is the conical spray pattern which makes an even application impossible. They're still useful for this and for where rough painting will suffice like garden sheds etc as long as you can get the product to flow through them.

Phil