paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldnapl5k

Reaction score
I want to know if I can paint interior latex satin over semi gloss enamel or do I have to prime the walls and trim first? I am very new here and wanted to get good advice before I make a big mess again. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place for advice.

The only issue with latex over an enamel (old tyme "oil base") is adhesion. For the best possible results, prime with a high quality primer/sealer like Zinsser 123. If the surface is really glossy, you may need a shellacking primer (such as Zinsser B-I-N), which must be used with good ventilation. If this is for kitchen cabinets, you really ought to consider this type of primer. Or, for other painted surfaces that get touched a lot.

With a good primer base, any latex top coat is going to look better, stick better, and last much longer. It's worth it to spend the money and time to do it right the first time.

Good luck!

Ah, I just read that this is for walls and trim!

Well, at the very least, scrub/wash the walls and trim to remove grease/fingerprints/etc. TSP is good for this, or there are a number of concentrated wall cleaners at the hardware store.

If the existing paint is in good condition, priming may not be necessary if the paint you're putting on is high quality. Otherwise, I would recommend a water-based primer first. Especially if you are going from a darker color to a lighter color. Some primers are tintable as well. This helps if you are going much darker than the existing color.

Good luck!

The trim I would just lightly sand to knock down the gloss, clean well and paint. For the walls if the colors were similar I would just paint with a GOOD quality paint. If there was a dramatic change from dark to light I would prime first. Going light to dark I wouldn't bother priming. Benjamin Moore paint is the one I have had best results with Behr I have had nothing but bad results with.

Anytime I come across this I always do the following
First I clean all the surfaces with TSP and well rince, I then sand the surfaces with 150 grit sandpaper to take the gloss off and this also roughs up the surface to accept primer, then I clean all the dust off.
Now I prime with Ben moore Fresh Start, then lightly sand with 180 grit, clean off the dust and apply 2 coats of Paint.

Back