Dazed and confused in Midland, Texas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkpounds

Reaction score
Every once in a while (more often as of late) I ask myself "WHY did I think I wanted to own my own home? And WHY OH WHY did I think I wanted to own one built in 1921, for crying out loud??!!@#!" I'm currently trying to finish a mosaic tub surround that I began 3 years ago, and am finding so much that I did wrong, it's unbelievable and so time consuming. (However, it is GORGEOUS!) I am currently faced with the dilemna of pre-mixed vs cementitious thinset and grout. Know anything about this?
THANKS!

Hello Bob-Ette:
Here is my take on ceramic tile. If the surface is absolutely smooth the Premixed thinset is just fine. However, if the subsurface has any rough places at all they must be made up with the cementious stuff trowelled on filling in the low points. It is hard work and very trickey; except when a professional does it then "there's nothing to it when you know how to do it".
I wish I could be of more help. Welcome to the forum!
Glenn

Hi Glenn! Thanks for the tip. It all has thinset on it...the problem was that when we applied the tiles, marbles, etc., we had no idea they should all be approximately the same height, and boy, some areas are a real mess! I posted pictures of it in the house repair gallery - take a look!
Donna

Back