Repair / seal a metal roof that leaks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbFixRupper

Reaction score
I have a sunroom built by a company
called Bittnner that leaks. I am looking
at sealing the roof and would like to
know if anyone has suggestions on the
product to use and the best way to get
this accomplished. It looks like a metal
roof with 5 seals along the top. The room
is 20X15.

Herb, first off welcome to House Repair Talk. If you could provide us with a picture of the leaking area and where it attaches to the structure of your house it would sure help a lot.

the way the roof is leaking, is it something you could caulk?

Pictures definitely would help

Here are a few pics - sorry it took so long - had a hard time resizing images.
I caulked a few of the seams on the roof a few days ago. Had a rainstorm last night and did not see anything come in. Will have to keep my eye on it.
The worst was during the winter - had an ice dam build up. That's when the water came in at its worst.

Herb

View attachment roof against house.bmp

roof.JPG

View attachment drops2.bmp

Herb, what you have is a insulation board clad with metal top and bottom and joined together with an "H" channel. I have in the past screwed down a 1/2" wood fiberboard and then applied Certainteed, "Flintlastic" base sheet and modified bitumen cap sheet. The key will be to properly fabricate wall flashing along the wall. We've done several like this and after many years, no problems.

What you are relying on is a caulk joint to make a water tight seal. The channel and the metal expand at different rates and will cause failure in the joints.

We do a lot of metal insulated roofs in Fla, you need Peel & Seal PowerBond 250 it is designed to tape seams on insulated aluminum panels, there are other rmanufacturers, but it will solve you issue

You recommended Peel & Seal PowerBond 250 but the installers of the insulated aluminum roof panels has put additional flashing and caulking over the exterior seams. The problem continues.

How would Peel & Seal PowerBond 250 fix the problem? My roof has basically become unusable and the installers can't figure out how to fix it short of taking all the roof panels and window panes out to reinstall them.

Your suggestions would be appreciated. :confused::confused:

Back