The wall bows away from my new bathroom countertop.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alik

Reaction score
I have just replaced a complete bathroom cabinet, countertop, and sink combo and replaced it all. The countertop and the sink are now one solid piece and it all looks really nice.

I have run into a problem however, in that the house itself was never built very well. After securing the new countertop where it is supposed to sit. I discovered that while the back right edge fits exactly into the corner and the front right edge fits just against the wall where it should, there is a gap along the edge where the wall literally bows away from the countertop. At its widest there is almost an inch between the wall and the side of the bathroom counter.

What is the best way to fix this?

With a 1" block between the wall and your pencil scribe a line on the top of the counter,that would be the line to cut the counter to fit the wall.

Caulk

Kidding just kidding
As he said use a spacer between the wall and the counter with a pencil scribe a line along the top edge of the counter top to give you a cut line. 1" is a lot of space.
Second alternate is a little more work and thats to pull the vanity, shim the wall to straighten it out and re rock it.

Last edited:
That would be alot of caulk, I doubt if Alik is laughing. Rebuilding the wall is probibly a better idea as if you cut a inch off the counter it will be to short and would require a rebuild of the cabinet.

If your wall is bowing, that sounds like a serious issue. In fact, it will probably continue to move over time and I wouldn't be surprised if some cracking didn't occur. I think fixing the wall is something to consider.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
I have looked at it again now that I'm less frustrated and realized that I did overestimate the size of the space. It is only about 1/2" at the widest part not a full inch. But still... I will look into rebuilding the wall.

As it "stands" now, I have some company arriving in a week and I don't have the time to rebuild a whole wall. Are there any suggestions for a short term quick fix that would just make the bathroom look better until I can get all the guests cleared out of my house?

Thank you for all the suggestions.
I have looked at it again now that I'm less frustrated and realized that I did overestimate the size of the space. It is only about 1/2" at the widest part not a full inch. But still... I will look into rebuilding the wall.

As it "stands" now, I have some company arriving in a week and I don't have the time to rebuild a whole wall. Are there any suggestions for a short term quick fix that would just make the bathroom look better until I can get all the guests cleared out of my house?

Any chance you could include a photo? I'd like to put a picture together with what these guys' instructions are.

Back