What to do about this big tree?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryce

Reaction score
Con: drops sap on the car, block part of driveway
Pro: nice to have big tree infront of the house, keeps snow off the car in the winter.
Temporary solution: Car tent but the top is getting very dirt in just 5 months from tree droppings. Can the car tent be trusted in the winter not to collapse?

Solution 1) Have tree removed about $1200
2) Have it bonzi trimmed for about $300
3) Deal with the tent

big tree.jpg

Look like it needs a good trim to clear the power cables.

The hydro company will come any time to clear those cables.
I think even if the tree is trimmed, the sap will still be a problem, then i will still need a tent (i have a newer car now), so the tent is $350, the trim is $300 but if i pay another $600 then the tree is gone and the problem is solved - for ever. It means you could get 2 cars in the drive side by side too.
I could park on the grass like many people too. The problem is the tent is okay, but are those tents really a long term solution? I guess it is good to keep the snow off the car. The don't really allow the tents there, so close to the road, but many people have them so they are tolerated.
If i spend money on a fence and new surface for the drive way, then down the road if the tree is taken out it will be ruined. If i am still here in 10 years i will still asking myself should i remove the tree?
Might as well do it now, can always plant another tree.

Around here if you get the power company out to trim and you suggest they just take it down to solve an ongoing problem 99 out of 100 times they will take it down. Never hurts to ask.

That tree was a cute little tree 40 years ago. It’s now in the wrong place get it out and plant a dogwood or something like that.

Who needs a tent when you can get a car cover? Cheaper than a tree trim. Safer than a tent.

Is that a VW Golf?

a lot of people plant trees without any thought to how large they will grow, such as yours. Then they plant that what is a small tree too close to the house and near the buried sewer line or septic tank. Soon that good looking tree becomes an everlasting problem. The only place a large growing tree should be planted is, and only if the owner has a lot of acreage, is away from any place it can cause damage as it grows to its full height
Your best bet is to get it cut down, and as someone said, the power company will probably do it for you. Then, get your tent if the car needs shade

Even if you don't cut it down now, plant a new small tree (your choice of friendly species) as soon as possible to give them a chance to get established until you decide to cut down/remove the problem tree. - A cheap way to plan for the future.

Eight years ago, I bought a townhouse (actually the fourth corner of a 4 unit building) because of the site and location. Now the semi-mature trees have grown and are fighting for light because whoever planted them did not think ahead. One problem tree is a 35'-40'(now) ash that is too close and shading a 30' blue spruce, so it is starting to grow to one side. I also have a 25' flowering crab that is adjacent to the ash and fighting for sun, while there is a perfect 20' crab that is doing well.

Now I have to spend $600 to trim and clean out the ash (with a couple of major limbs removed), remove the close crab and stump and clean out the base of the spruce and two other spruces. I know it will look much differently next spring, but there is no choice to preserve the property value.

The first thing I will do is run out and buy a couple of replacement trees (species undecided) and plant them where they should be for the future. If I see it will not be right, I have the choice to remove them quickly since that is not much of an investment cut down since I would not plop down a big balled and burlap tree.

I know the local deer will be around the day after trimming and the sound of the saw, since that seems to be a trigger.

Dick

The ash will dead soon when it gets emerald ash borer. They are spreading everywhere despite efforts to limit their spread.

In the 6 years we've lived on this central Oregon property, the local power company has been out to take down three tall Doug fir trees. They were all more than 120' tall (around 3' diameter at ground line), and were threatening the power line that carries juice to several hundred houses up the road.

Cost us a grand total of $0. They cleaned all the small stuff up using a huge mulcher, and left the yard looking better than when they started. They even asked what lengths we wanted the firewood cut into--I went with 15" max. for the big stuff, as they were too heavy for the wife to move (as in rolling any distance on the ground, or up a ramp into the wood trailer) if much longer.

Never hurts to be kind to the little woman. Last year, I even bought her a pair of shoes to wear in the winter, after listening to her complain for years about her toes getting cold from going barefoot. Must be the Choctaw in her, getting soft in her old age.

The local power company came and took a land survey and concluded it wasn't their problem. They trimmed the tree last year will probably need to trim it again in couple of years, seems they would rather come and trim every couple of years.

Anyways i found a solution was to just park on the front lawn and pass the tree. So i like the tree again. I will probably build a driveway out that way this year. I've figured out that in the winter the sap freezes so parking under the tree is not a problem, in fact it is useful because the tree keeps the snow off the car.

The tree is nice in the winter as you can see and worth keeping.

Back