Trojan UVMax Water Filtration & UV System

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer55

Reaction score
The house I moved into last month has as its water source a well. The previous owner had a water filtration system in the basement that he stopped using some time ago. According to him, the water is so good he felt it was a waste of time and money changing out the filters which include the Trojan UVMax UV filter. I've been here about 6 weeks now and, the water is indeed very good. I did get it tested and other than being a little hard, the water is clear, odorless, and very good.

I thought it would probably still be a good idea to re-install the 2 carbon filters and also the UV lamp for that part of the system. Is anyone familiar with this setup? (see attached picture). I got as far as replacing the UV lamp and then I plugged it in. There is an alarm going off that does not quit. I don't see a reset either. The house is 21 years old and the system may be that old too.Additionally, I bought replacement filters but, I am unable to unscrew the blue filter housings by hand. I'm guessing there must be a specialized wrench/tool for this?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Trojan UV MAX.jpg

It is always a good idea to filter your water in some way, no matter the source of your water, whether is being a well or municipal water. The system you have is quite good, although I do not trust the UV water filters, considering that most require about 30 seconds to kill anything off, when the water is in yours for about 3 seconds. As for the blue housings, yes, there is a wrench used to get these off, which will look like this, http://www.aquasafecanada.com/store...i-parts-and-accessories/large-canister-wrench. This is most likely not the correct size, but it will look like this, and maybe you have seen one around the home, or near the filters.

It is always a good idea to filter your water in some way, no matter the source of your water, whether is being a well or municipal water. The system you have is quite good, although I do not trust the UV water filters, considering that most require about 30 seconds to kill anything off, when the water is in yours for about 3 seconds. As for the blue housings, yes, there is a wrench used to get these off, which will look like this, http://www.aquasafecanada.com/store...i-parts-and-accessories/large-canister-wrench. This is most likely not the correct size, but it will look like this, and maybe you have seen one around the home, or near the filters.

Thanks. I saw that style wrench in Home Depot over the weekend but, it was for a much smaller canister and system.

First off I would locate a plumbing supply house instead of home depot. If there is no brand on the canister's try to get an outside diameter or get a strap wrench (think oil filter) at an auto parts store to get it loose then take the canister with you.

In my opinion, those cartridge filters are totally useless. Especially if your water is as good as you say it is. UV filters are used to kill bacteria, but your water apparently doesn't have any, so why bother using the UV?

I agree with speedbump. You also have the previous owners opinion on the topic also. At my old house I had a similar thing when I moved in I saw the cartridge units and figured I better check the filters. When I opened them they were empty so of course I put some in and they got some build up in them over time and gave the water a bad taste. I had the water tested and there was still nothing in it that was bad for me (some iron) and I tossed the filters out and the good taste returned and I never did put them back. I think having your water tested from time to time and as long as it’s good don’t worry about the filters. The UV will work good unless you get a buildup on the tube that was the reason I never put one in on mine. I have city water now and I would give anything to be back on my well.

Back