info on metal rook please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolfan

Reaction score
I have to get a new roof for a manufactured house (no attic). The 1 guy talked about using metal said it would cost more to buy but cheaper to install. I have some wood to be replaced also. My question is should i put the metal on top of the shingles except where the repair will be? On the back there is 6 or so metal vents the guy said remove those and use a ridge vent.I have to buy the roof from wherever i want and then pay the guy to install it. What about the ice dams should i have those? We don't get much anything here (we did have 20 inches this yr at 1 time). Do you guys like/recommend metal and ice dams etc thanks

Last edited:
What is the roof pitch of the house? What type of metal are you looking at, exposed or concealed fasteners? Would I recommend installing metal over existing shingles, NEVER. The shingles underneath will continue to deteriorate and lift the metal, this can compromise the lap seams and also pull the screws out.

Screw down metal panels are agricultural panels and are not designed for installing over living space. Pigs and cows don't care about getting wet, but you belongings inside your house will. I see people put screw down panels on all the time, will they leak, not a question of if, it's a question of when.

Strip the roof down to the wood decking, install your new metal roof over a material like Weather Watch, Storm Guard or any non granulated peel and stick underlayment. Take the static (box vents) out and use ridge vent.

Just my :2cents:

Thanks that is what i am thinking about the shingles. I have heard that 2 layers of shingles will not last as long bc of holding heat etc. The screws have a dome over the rubber washers to "protect"them

The screws have a dome over the rubber washers to "protect"them

And they will last for 5-7 years. You have to remember, metal expands and contracts. The movement will elongate the holes, the fastener washers will dry rot and crack. Just so you know what you're getting and the maintenance required. You will have to replace the screws with the next larger sizes ones next time. And, you will have a leak at the most Inconvenient of times. We'll, that's my luck anyway. :D

" Would I recommend installing metal over existing shingles, NEVER. The shingles underneath will continue to deteriorate and lift the metal, this can compromise the lap seams and also pull the screws out. "

Aren't old shingles mostly tar? How long will it take to deteriorate?

I talked to a store that sells metal,fences etc. He said leave the shingles on and wood strips then the metal. The space between the 2 will be some insulation type thing(can't remember the way he said it)

[Q UOTE=dolfan;103006]I talked to a store that sells metal,fences etc. He said leave the shingles on and wood strips then the metal. The space between the 2 will be some insulation type thing(can't remember the way he said it)[/QUOTE]

It's your roof, your house, I wouldn't take that approach on mine.

Ir will create an air gap and I would only do it if you aren't in a high wind area. My carport was ripped off by a freak microburst that slammed my place with a 75 mph "gust" and it landed on the neighbor's place. Insurance almost denied my claim until it was proven the carport was already in place when they insured it and not installed by me.

Latest posts

Back