Entry door opening with rotten edge framing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
For some time I knew that a small edge portion of the trim stud, king stud, and bottom/sloe plate near the entry door of the all season room addition was badly rotten. The bad thing is that it was really rotten and full of bugs, I removed all traces of rotten and dirt, cleaned and sanitized it. After removing the the door trim and cutting part of the door jam along with removing the siding, I removed most of the rotten wood as shown below:

28033526296_4e90853984_c.jpg

In order remove all the tid bits of rotten wood it was clear that it wold be necessary to access the bottom plate from inside as well, so I did and add some new piece of pressure treated wood. Note that it was really small, because most of the rottened was concentrated on the trim and king stud.

View of rotten sole plate from inside:
28033526336_4de618cd87_c.jpg

Rotten sole plate replace with small stub of 2x4, view from inside:
28067192075_df17b26045_c.jpg

I realize that I replaced a tiny small piece of a 2x4 for the sole plate, but that seemed to be the only portion needed. Next step is simply to add pieces of 2x4 for the trim and king stud pertaining the door framing. Any insights would be appreciated.

thks

Back