Smooth out paint edge

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyN

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have scraped a section of paint off my ceiling where there was some damage. I am left with an area of drywall/no paint about 1' square. On the edges of this hole there is a slight but noticeable bump as it transitions from no-paint to paint.

This will be very obvious if I just paint over the entire area. What can I do to lessen this?

- can I sand with fine paper to try and make it a gradient?
- I don't really have the tools/skills to trowel in any large amounts of plaster.

What are my options?

Thanks,

Tony

Light sanding with 120 grit with a sanding block might work, worth a try.

I have never had luck with sanding into drywall with trying to feather in an edge. The paint is tougher than the paper. When the sand paper goes over the paper surface it raises fuzzy and the paint will have a different texture. Wal-Mart sells little cans of lightweight joint compound and cheap plastic tools for spreading it on. For 10 bucks you could get some and feather the edge and then sand it out and paint.

Or apply numerous coats of paint as fill.

Paint will not fill the void. Skim it with joint compound, sand smooth ,prime if not flat paint and paint. If it is already flat paint a couple cots of it will work.

Thanks everyone. I followed JoeCaption's advice, but used a palm sander instead of a block. It worked very well.

Thanks again everyone for your time in replying. I am closing this thread.

Back