DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Bathroom Exhaust Line Tear

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:35 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1130 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

If you took out the subfloor yourself, then you have the hard part under control. Replacing the vent pipe should be pretty easy, as long as you can access it.
By taking a good look at both ends - where the bathroom fan is, and where the vent is on the outside - you can pretty well figure out the route of the pipe and the length. I don't think you have to rip out your whole floor to do this. You can probably just open a hole where the pipe turns and work it from there.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2917 Times on 2558 Posts
Likes Given: 4807

Just to be clear they do use a flexable insulated duct, they like it because there are no joins so if you are using hard duct, tape the joints.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:02 AM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is the insulated flexible vent line the best one to use or the rigid variety? There are a few hangers in the subfloor that the current line is tied to and I may not be able to reach them if I don't open up more of the floor. Yes, I have successfully removed subfloor, the problem is I have not had a chance to install any yet.

I was getting ready to try to create supports for attaching the new subfloor panels around the wall using boxes when I noticed this. As far as attaching to the existing flooring perpendicular to the joists and away from the walls, I cut pieces of 3/4'' OSB into 3.5'' wide strips and attached them between the joists under the existing subfloor leaving half exposed to attach the new subfloor panels. I wanted the surface area of 2x4s but they seemed too heavy for the situation. It's not tongue and groove obviously but it seems as though it would be pretty solid.

I think it would be easier if my wife and kids were out of town for about a week. There'd be no one making me second guess every piece of demolition work that needs to get done and making this stressful.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Any time we don't have T&G we use 2x4 blocks to make the joint with glue. Better air flow in straght pipe on a long run.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1130 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

The hangers usually create choke points in flexible pipe as the pipe sags around them.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:23 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

Ok, so you're saying it might be fine to lay the pipe flat under the subfloor without suspending it at all and that the hangers already installed didn't really help.

2x4s and glue between joints...I can still do it that way if it will create a stronger hold. On the strips of OSB, I just used screws and no glue but I have no secured any new subfloor to it yet. I could remove the OSB strips pretty easily at this point by just unscrewing it.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

You are saying OSB can we suspect you mean Adventech flooring or something like that, that looks like OSB. That will work fine. Glue just makes it better or at least later when it squeeks you can say , it was glued!!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:58 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

Yes, I mean Advantech. I am still learning all the terminology. As far as attaching the subfloor right by the walls, are the boxes I am building the way to go or can that area be attached safely with blocks too?

Last edited by thapranksta; 07-07-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:02 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

So this is T&G, do you need instruction on how to start, where to glue, and so on?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:26 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

It was T&G but I cut those edges off with a circular saw because I thought it would just weaken the connections to the existing subfloor. I cut two pieces of subfloor to fit in the cutout shown in the pictures.

My main question right now is really what is the best way to stabilize the subfloor near the wall as I had to cut out a corner? I will post pictures later to illustrate further.

Thanks guys.