DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Swing set in covered patio

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:28 PM  
alfonsocp
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Swing set in covered patio

Thinking in hanging a swing from a covered area at the back of our garage. See photos attached. The swing would go parallel to the main bean, attached with screw eyes, between the column at the middle and the doors at the back. It is a small swing - 49in wide.

Wondering if the structure is sound for this. My worry is not so much the beam, but the columns. They are just 4x4s and seem to be standing on the concrete, no ground anchoring! Not sure if it is enough for this...

Thank you in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	14251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	14252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	14253  

Old 07-03-2017, 05:49 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1434 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 774

I would hang a swing from it and not worry. Half the front porches around here have one hanging from the ceiling joists and they are fine. Get a heavy duty eye hook and drill a pilot hole so you know you are in a solid beam and not just the trim. If you hit air move over a inch and try again. If you hit air twice take the trim down so you can see what is up there.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:52 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1128 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 1844

You should be able to confirm whether the columns are anchored. Maybe just give one a nudge and see if it moves a little. You could always add an anchoring plate if needed.
It certainly looks like the beam is beefy enough for your swing, but I would drill a test hole to see how much wood is up there before I invested in the swing.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:20 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 418 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For a "porch glider" it shouldn't be a problem, however there is a reason that playground swings are an "A" frame and your structure would collapse with that action.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:45 PM  
alfonsocp
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you All for the responses!! Sorry was not clear - this is indeed for a "porch glider" as Snoonyb mentioned. So no heavy swinging is expected.

slownsteady - I gave a small nudge to the 4x4. I felt a small vibration. Did not try very hard though... I also took a closer look and it just looks like the 4x4s are over the concrete, that's it. If anchored it has to be from right underneath the column. Is that even common?

Yes I'll try pilot holes to make sure I get to the solid beam. Thank you for the suggestions!!

Old 07-03-2017, 02:09 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1128 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 1844

If the bases are loose, there is usually something that can be done.
This, for example: http://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/s...-2017-p091.pdf

Old 07-03-2017, 03:29 PM  
Snoonyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsocp View Post
slownsteady - I gave a small nudge to the 4x4. I felt a small vibration. Did not try very hard though... I also took a closer look and it just looks like the 4x4s are over the concrete, that's it. If anchored it has to be from right underneath the column. Is that even common?
It's a very common practice to drill a post and fit it over something that was either set into or doweled into the concrete to restrain motion.

It was as common in the past, as it is now the practice to employ any number of different styles of post bases.

Aesthetics, not structural, are a driving influence, in many decisions.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:20 PM  
alfonsocp
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi Snoonyb - Thanks! Very interesting. I went back and hit the post at different heights. It kind of vibrates more from the middle than the bottom or the top. So it is indeed possible it is fitted over something... It feels solid in any case, so will try to just screw to the beam and test the swing. I can add the slownsteady' retrofit base if it does not feel safe...

Thank you!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:38 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2913 Times on 2554 Posts
Likes Given: 4798

You could always anchor the posts with a galvanized angle bracket at the floor. More of a concern is the joint between the post and the beam. Lot's of times that is just a few toenails.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 PM  
Snoonyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsocp View Post
Hi Snoonyb - Thanks! Very interesting. I went back and hit the post at different heights. It kind of vibrates more from the middle than the bottom or the top. So it is indeed possible it is fitted over something... It feels solid in any case, so will try to just screw to the beam and test the swing. I can add the slownsteady' retrofit base if it does not feel safe...

Thank you!
Vibration is an indicator of tension from compression loading, so after you have the porch glider up, pay attention to both the top and bottom post connections and the header.

The post to header connection, as neal mentioned, may display loosened nails and the bottom of the post may show signs of wood separation caused by the increased load.