hi from West Coast of Scotland

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidbrac

Reaction score
Hi my wife and myself bought an old Victorian manse last April (2013) and have started a renovation programme. We plan to reopen it as a B&B.

Work so far has been reroofing the house & coach house and installing en-suits.
Photos are reroofing June 2013 and a circa 1900 post card

016.jpg

headerPictures.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome. Your Old Manse is a really beautiful structure. I gather the church is no longer there? Looking forward to more photos and watching your progress if you wish to share. What year was it built? How much work do you have planned?

Again welcome to the site.

Welcome. Your Old Manse is a really beautiful structure. I gather the church is no longer there? Looking forward to more photos and watching your progress if you wish to share. What year was it built? How much work do you have planned?

Again welcome to the site.

It was built in 1864 and was the Manse to the Scottish Free Church. The church is no longer there, it was decommissioned and bought by a developer. however it caught fire before planning permission was granted and was demolished. Two cottages now sit on the site.

The place has not been looked after the last few years and we have had some major work to do, which has included reroofing the house and coach house. We are in the process of renovating bedrooms before looking at the stairs.
One issue we had to deal with was the barge boards and eves the original wood work has been ripped out years ago and the woodwork that was there had not been painted for a number of years. So we replace with PVC not our first choice but the reason that the original was none existence and the replacement was in bad condition is due to the harsh weather we get and the height to get to keep in good maintainance . I think we made the right decision.

It’s almost impossible to remain period perfect on a structure that’s celebrating its 150 birthday party. Lots of things have changed over the years and I agree with you when you can use modern materials that have the look and feel of the original without the work to maintain them, that’s the wise way to go.

What a shame the old church had to come down.

How is it to heat with all that stone?

How is it to heat with all that stone?
If fiberglass is .04 in thermal conductivity then stone is 1 or 2 but it's heat capacity may even out day/night temperature extremes somewhat.

Latest posts

Back