Insulating Below Dormer Window in Attic

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodJBoy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a large attic with regular walk up steps that I am in the process of insulating so that I can utilize the interior space more up there for things like exercise or whatever.

My attic is a typical slanted roof with the peak in the middle and a ridge vent. I put baffles in the rafters and placed the insulation over the baffles so that the air can vent from the open overhang at the bottom of the roof and travel up the baffles and out the ridge vent at the top center.

I have a couple dormer windows cut into the front of the house in the attic. So instead of having a rafter that goes from the bottom overhang to the top ridge vent, in the spot where the window was cut into the slanted rafters, the air goes up from the open overhang on the bottom until just below the window where it is not vented. This lower section beneath the dormer window that is open to the outside at the bottom but not vented at the top, can I just put baffles in there and slap the insulation over it just like I did with the other rafters?

Thanks!

Usually you would have a knee wall under the window or right across each side of the room and leave the area outside that wall as uninsulated and vented You might consider building that wall even just below the windows ands wide enough to get common space with a rafter bay that does connect up. Or you could look at some venting on the roof just below the windows.

Back