What are these things?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

Reaction score
This house I moved into about 2 months ago has gutters on 3 sides and some parts of the front....the rest has these weird louvered things....what are they and what purpose do they serve....I can tell you that they don't stop water from falling over the side of the roof....

DSC07606.JPG

DSC07607.JPG

It almost looks like gutter covers (to keep leaves/branches out) to me, but without the gutters.

Those are the old style rain diverters. They are supposed to direct the water away from the foundation in a spray so it does not create erosion in a downpoor. I'm suspecting you do not get rain all that often, but when you do it comes in buckets.
Loose them and install gutters with a downspout to a rainbarrel if you could use the water.
Looks like someones sales pitch worked on the previous owners.:eek:

Ahhhh well the house is very old, these rain diverters are only on the front facade, on the other side of the front porch is a gutter and on the little side where the dining room is, otherwise the front has these and all the other sides have gutters....weird
Anyway we will install gutters where these are....I live in San Antonio so rain isn't all to common (not lately) but it does sometimes storm significantly

They are the top to "maintenance free" gutters; I think the Zyco brand, but I'm not sure. What happened to the bottoms? lol

Back