Well problems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanman

Reaction score
Have already changed the pressure switch, air tank, and electrical hook up on the well. Still when you turn the water on about every minute it will stall and send out a burst of water then run normal again for awhile. Its annoying. What could be the cause of this? It is a submerssible well do not know if it is shallow or not

Seems like you are picking up air somehow. I get this when I shut off the water to change filters and I then turn on the water again - but it only happens initially. Try to isolate the problem if you can but turning off shutoff valves.

Almost seems like you momentarily lose pressure.

Air in the line generally means there is a leak, well is running dry or clogged.

If there is no visible leak it is probably somewhere in the well. Fixing any of these issues is a big project.
If its not that bad you can trying living with it. Boilers have air separators that automatically let out air maybe this could work for you.

Sounds like a leak between the check valve and the pump. When the pump shuts off the leak lets air into the pipe and when the pump turns on again it pushes the air into your plumbing system. Take the cap off the casing, have some one turn on a valve and listen at the casing you should hear the pump start (a soft buzz) and if the leak is there you will hear it spraying.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but since you changed everything up above, I would have to say the problem is in the well. Could be a screen plugging up, could be a leak.

Questions:
Does the pump keep running when this happens?
Do you get air out of the faucet?
Did you set the new tank up properly to match the pressure switches settings?

Speedbump said:
I'm not sure what the problem is, but since you changed everything up above, I would have to say the problem is in the well. Could be a screen plugging up, could be a leak.

Questions:
Does the pump keep running when this happens?
Do you get air out of the faucet?
Did you set the new tank up properly to match the pressure switches settings?

1. Yes
2.Periodically
3.Its a 40/60 pressure switch. Tank says to reduce precharge to 40psi to 38 psi but the gauge below my pressure switch is reading 80 psi?

image-1934983882.jpg

Two things.

1. The gauge is either wrong or stuck. The nuts above the springs on the switch are not turned down far enough to raise the pressure up to 80 psi.

2. You can not adjust the air pressure in the tank using your pressure gauge. You must turn off the pump, let all pressure out of the plumbing system by opening a faucet until it stops running water, then check the pressure in the tank with a tire gauge. There is a schrader valve on the tank.

Back