Proper Roller Technique

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeVilla

Reaction score
Was helping my daughter and son-in-law Saturday ... Was stunned to see he was using the "W" technique and a 3/8" nap roller.

OMG ... MY kids doing this???

Since the wall has a heavy skip trowel surface, I tossed him a thicker roller and explained the proper rollng technique ... Will be sending him this YouTube video too.
:D

Got to raise 'em right or they will mess up their new baby room.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v61PVzLNemk[/ame]

Sounds like your kids are watching too much HGTV. Every show I see on there after giving a bunch of kids a sledge hammer to smash down something that removing two screws would take down in one neat piece. They then somehow fast forward to finish drywall and time to paint. The designer always then open a gallon of paint with the label removed and some dramatic color is shown. They then dump one quarter of the can in a roller tray and paint a big “W” on the wall. And tell them to paint the room. No cutting in just go at it. They also must have stock in the blue tape company as when they do show something about edges they always go for the tape. I have yet to see someone show how to cut in an edge. But after the commercial it always looks great. Am I the only one that thinks there is a crew of professionals that step in and do the work.

Like your vid I always down roll. The most important point in that whole vid is the idea of keeping a wet edge and painting brush or roller into the wet edge.

Sounds like your kids are watching too much HGTV. Every show I see on there after giving a bunch of kids a sledge hammer to smash down something that removing two screws would take down in one neat piece. They then somehow fast forward to finish drywall and time to paint. The designer always then open a gallon of paint with the label removed and some dramatic color is shown. They then dump one quarter of the can in a roller tray and paint a big “W” on the wall. And tell them to paint the room. No cutting in just go at it. They also must have stock in the blue tape company as when they do show something about edges they always go for the tape. I have yet to see someone show how to cut in an edge. But after the commercial it always looks great. Am I the only one that thinks there is a crew of professionals that step in and do the work.

Like your vid I always down roll. The most important point in that whole vid is the idea of keeping a wet edge and painting brush or roller into the wet edge.

unless you are using Aura

For what ever reason I can't access videos on my computer anymore, but I hate it when everyone agrees with Villa. :D

I don't think you can knock the "W" unless you explain why they suggest it and what you do instead and yes you do things instead, you just don't think about it. So I'm here to say, think about it and come back with your own explanation of what they are thinking and what you do. :rofl:

It is such a rare thing to get agreement on anything I post ... basking in the uncommon glory.

However, the W-thing is for rookies. It helps them avoid the vertical lines which "proper" technique could produce IF YOU DO NOT BACK ROLL. The vertical rolling technique is efficient and gives excellent coverage ... and the video indicates back rolling should be done.

You will never, ever, see a pro painter put a W on a wall:rofl::rofl::rofl:

More than once I have helped new homeowners fix up houses. Most never painted before, so rookies (yes) like many that might come here to read these posts. Experienced painters don't over fill the roller tray, and they don't take a dripping full roller to the wall and push it up toward the ceiling leaving a great glob of paint. Nope the experienced painters don't do that but rookies do.
Now if you were giving instructions to a brand new painter on how to paint a wall, what might they be.
You would talk about drop a cloth for the floor, taping the edges or cutting in. Cutting in before or after you roll. How to open the can and make sure it is the colour and mixed, filling the tray only to the bottom of the ramp, how to fill the roller and start rolling.
For the old timers here that remember Joe Joe on the show Hometime, before that she had her own show when she knew nothing and she tackled jobs, talked to her dog and laughed at her mistakes. She did not use the "W" dropped the roller grabbed a ladder and a brush and ended up stepping in the tray, great fun. I alwys thought she did thing like that even when she knew better just to make a good show.
The point is when you give someone five or six instructions some of them get lost, and they will have to learn from mistakes but over filling the tray is a common mistake and starting with a "W" allows even a rooky to recover without desaster..
Anyone that has painted a few wall no longer starts with a "W" but they have had the time to learn a little first. So I will always tell the newbe to start with a "W".

I hardly ever see a pro use a tray.:banana:

I was going to say, every time I've been around painters they have a bucket and a screed thing hanging in it. Who has time to keep filling a paint tray.

Good post Mr. Villa, I learned a thing or two, but I still don't like to paint, unless it's with a power tool...;)

I was going to say, every time I've been around painters they have a bucket and a screed thing hanging in it. Who has time to keep filling a paint tray.

Good post Mr. Villa, I learned a thing or two, but I still don't like to paint, unless it's with a power tool...;)

I still use a tray, after 20 odd years of doing this:hide:

The Wagner lady needs lessons! OMG it hurts to watch her make a mess of the wall ...

The power painter is a great technology ... if you make sure you clean is completely ... but if she had good rolling technique she would be done much faster!

ARRRGH.JPG

I have been painting for years and my dad is a painter. Never have used a pan and dont even know what this w ya'll speak of is ??????

I understand, I'm a roofer and I'd rather hand nail than use a nail gun. Just old school, I guess. (Not that the oldog does much nailing anymore)

Good to know you can still tumble :D... it's a lost art to the newbies..LOL
Heck... they don't even know what a fistful is..um..er... never mind,:eek:

Oldognewtrick, yes we real painters never use a tray and I have never done the W. Been painting over 40 years never seen anyone do the W. Where the hxxl did that come from. Most likely from some makeover program on television I suspect. In the video above, the "howtopaintinfo' guy is a pretty good painter. I can tell just by watching him, although I do it slightly diffenet than he does ( https://www.youtube.com/user/InvinciblePainting/videos ) if anyone's interested.
Trays in my professional opinion are an absolute wast of time if you're doing this for work. For the diy it's ok, JUST! They're cumbersome, difficult to work out of, don't hold much paint, difficult to move, easy to walk on, absolutely useless they are.

Last edited:
Back