bathroom dilemma

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribefan1977

Reaction score
Good day to all. I am looking for a bit of advice in regards to an extra bathroom. This room was added by a previous owner in an inclosed porch and it was not done correctly and I am left with the problem of either fixing it up or just simply closing it off. The waste pipe was done improperly, the ventilation is poor, and the pipes are all now starting to leak. I am leaning towards closing it off mainly because I do not use it much and I honestly do not have the resources to put into it, because I have more pressing concerns elsewhere. I know an extra bathroom can add value to the house, but property values in my area have taken a nose dive and I am well underwater on the mortgage at this point and I don't foresee it getting any better.

Just need looking for someones opinion who may have dealt with a problem like this before. Should I make the time and save money to do the repairs or should I simply close it off.

I would say it depends on how badly wrong it is. It sounds bad if it is leaking in several places already. I'm in the northwest, here in my town even if you closed it off, if you were to put the house on the market a home inspector would call it out and it would be an issue. Of course it would be an issue also if it was leaking. I do a lot of work for sellers based on home inspections. it also depends on how far you are underwater. An extra bathroom will add to the value, but how much is the question. I personally would lean towards shutting off the water and leaving it. The idea be to do as little as possible. Just make sure that it can't leak anymore. Then if in the future you decide to start doing some work on it you can, without having to undo a lot of what you did to shut it down.

I would think you want to cut and cap the sewer lines too, the traps would dry out and allow gasses into the house. I wouldn't do much improving on a house underwater. If you ever want to use this room later, you will probibly have to re-plumb it anyway so having it capped off won't hurt. And welcome to the site.

Back