Velux skylight

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr doityourselfer

Reaction score
We have a Velux manually operated skylight on the roof of our home in Florida. Because we are subject to hurricanes I would like to find some kind of protective cover for the skylight. Probably something like an elongated dome shaped hard plastic that could deflect flying debris would be the best way to go.
Velux has no such thing.
Anyone know where we could find such a thing?
Thanks for any help.

These products

"WASCO HURRICANE RESISTANT SKYLIGHTS"

makes this project seem a bit more complicated.

Perhaps you can get a suitable parts purchased as spare parts from makers of similar products. You'll have to make the interface to your existing skylights, however.

Your area and the Ozarks also get many lightning strikes, which must play havoc with your electronic equipment.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I think going that route would probably take a very loooooong time. But thank you anyway and any other thoughts from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.
Have a good day/night whatever it may be where you are.

:)

I looked up the pressure drop that a hurricane can produce.
It could be that a momentary force of up to 200 lbs per sq. ft could try to lift out your skylight assembly or push out your windows.

And knowing your height above sea level won't hurt! :hide:

Good luck.

Lexan andf polycarbonate are clear plastics that are often used where glass would not be safe. However, even if you could find a dome that would cover your skylight, the way you fasten it down would be the main concern. Could you replace the existing glass with Lexan?

Not to mention the dome would have to either have ventilation or be hermetically sealed or you'd get condensation inside the dome.

Back