new building regrets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builder2b

Reaction score
We are planning on building a house in a couple of years and also plan to GC it ourselves. Before we commit to a plan or any of the details, we are hoping to gain some insight or advice from people with experience on this topic.
What I am mostly looking for now are the biggest regrets you may have with the choices you have made in your own homes. ie; The "I wish I would have" or the "I wish I never did" What were the biggest mistakes, what would you change next time?
Also, what feature, layout plan, or design detail could you never live without and are glad you did?

Welcome to the site. 2 things come to mind right off the top. One is the bank. Most people up here use a building loan and hire a GC. The bank figures out how much you need at each stage of building the house and they calculate how much hold back you should hold onto. They never seem to understand that the home owner is the GC and can not hold back on subs unless that was agreed to ahead of the job. They end up short of money in the middle of the job.
The other is the driveway some how all our GCs think its better for all the subs to slog thru mud and giant rocks to work on a house, like gravel is cheaper after the house is built.

:welcome: to House Repair Talk, builder2b.

Some things that come to mind are how much construction background do you have?
Do you have the concept of what subs need to be there and when?
How are you going to find subs?
How is the project funded?
Do you have the time to be onsite all day to supervise and make decisions?
Where are you getting your plans from?
Do you have a job that will allow you time away to be on site?
Are you planning to have any sweat equity in the project?

Back