Hurricane Shutters - Tampa

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RudisFL

Reaction score
Having just dodged a bullet (Irma) in Tampa I am looking into hurricane shutters for the house.

Has anyone installed their own?
Is there any type of certification I should look for when buying the supplies?
Am I saving any real money by doing it myself?

My family that is in Fort Myers has steel shutters they bolt on for this type of weather. The shutters look corrugated. They worked out very well in the 100+ winds yesterday.

They pull them out of the garage, and bolt them on the days before the hurricane is expected. Rather clumsy but worth it. They live in a 2 storied home, so the upper ones are really fun to put up (not). But he does it with help from a friend.

Get a couple estimates, price the material yourself and decide if your time is worth the difference. Just my:2cents:

My parents have the corrugated shutters in Cape Coral. They didn't get someone to put them on in time. The house was within 20 miles of the eye of a Cat 3 Hurricane. The house was not damaged. My father questions the utility of the shutters, which is a decent argument...

My parents have the corrugated shutters in Cape Coral. They didn't get someone to put them on in time. The house was within 20 miles of the eye of a Cat 3 Hurricane. The house was not damaged. My father questions the utility of the shutters, which is a decent argument...

All it takes is a piece of something to break a window and the house is questionable.

Some areas offer property tax lower and insurance lower for having them if they qualify. Worth checking out. might be cheaper to have them done with the savings kicking in.

Latest posts

Back