leak at base on interior basement wall.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioniczain

Reaction score
Hi folks, need an opinion on a strange issue in my basement.

February my wife and I after an extensive search found a beautiful 1925 craftsman bungalow in the historical district. When we moved in there was some small leaking issues on an exterior basement wall around the windows due to the wood rot from the lack of pressure treated lumber used.

Yesterday afternoon I was in the basement and noticed a small 8-10 inch wet spot radiating from the base of an interior wall. The wall itself is dry, and there is roughly 40 feet between the wall in question and the wall on the exterior wall of the house. Any ideas on what may have caused this?

There is no plumbing near the puddle, the wall has been painted, unsure if it was with a sealant.

We had a rainstorm about a week ago but their is no visible moisture in the crawlspace behind the interior wall.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Welcome to the site.
Water will find it's way into strange places. You could have anything from a roof leak to plumbing leak anywhere above or even condensation on exposed cold water pipes. You will want to pay close attention to when the water shows up. Things like has it rained or you have watered the grass or used a shower. Good luck

it could have come right up thru the floor which, to me, seems more likely except for the last rainstorm,,, condensation or a leak from above may be the cause,,, unfortunately no one can see your house from their / our house

A method old home builders used ways to incorporate water movement into storm drains was to use the foundation walls as a means of water transport. Water would flow into ground level flush scuttles drain into the foundations and the brick would be positioned to chute water into the basement drain. Basically the worst method of foundation construction possible but it was done •. Also less extreme water removal method was to run verticle clay pipes along the house from gutters to below grade foundation and through or between a partial foundation block which would then drain water to a center room storm drain.

You mentioned the distance the wall was from exterior. I immediately thought what about a leaking pipe above .

we recently waterproofed the lower level of a split level & left satisfied w/our work,,, yesterday, after rainfalls this week, the owner called & complained there was water on the lower bathroom floor,,, so i truck'd back out there to check,,, he was right - BIG puddle of wtr.

turned out someone was taking a shower upstairs & the drain line was leaking @ a pipe joint,,, from the amount of wtr, probably didn't have the shower curtain inside the tub, either :clap:

Back