Easy Access through a 24x24 return duct

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
The 24"x24" return is my access to the attic and i have to remove the grill every time i need to get up there. Right now its just four screws into through the sheetrock onto the studs holding it on.

I'm nervous that over time the usage is going to destroy the ceiling and wear the holes.

What can i replace or add to the ceiling to make it a last and maybe even be a quick disconnect?

Thanks

Last edited:
Not exactly, its the return for the central AC but its also my access to the attic. Here it is without the grill installed or the holes drilled yet.

2013-12-15 11.44.53.jpg

I would just go for another access, that way you could insulate that and seal it as you now are loosing air and moisture into the attic. Are your ceiling joist or rafters 24" on center.

I think your looking for a solution for both the grille and the duct.
There are several hardware quick detach options for the grille but, for the duct?
I see handles up there, are you good with that design?
For the Grille:
Hinged grille, magnets, etc .....
What ever you put up there I see the opening is framed out so you can go right through the drywall into some solid wood.

Hi Guys,

Yes I framed out the opening along with a frame around the duct work with some handles so it would sit level and have a seal along with being easy to move. My question is more about the grill and how I can make it a quick disconnect. Are there any products you recommend?

Thanks again!

It depends on the frame that's on the grill. I would probably just get two small hinges for one side of the frame and a sliding barrel bolt latch for the opposite side.

The grill has a small inset and four screw holes, one in each corner. I never thought of using hinges, that's a good idea. I'll have to check the grill and see if it would work.

I do plan on sealing and insulating the return for winter, maybe using that magnetic sheet to cover the hole. I like those inserts you have linked above, looks like they are build for hard wood, would they work good in soft wood too? Thanks again

Last edited:
Back