Tool Inventory?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hack

Reaction score
I got to thinking the other day while the wife and I were working in the garage and cleaning some things up that it's probably high time to write a tool inventory list, including specs and pictures, of all the items in my shop...you know...just in case.

I guess my reasoning for doing this is insurance. I once had my luggage stolen while traveling in Europe, and the insurance company wanted to know what I had, when I purchased the items, their condition, and how much I originally paid for the items. From that, they could depreciate for use and figure out how much to pay me for them.

Any of the rest of you inventory your tools? Keep track of purchase date, condition, etc.???

First off, congratulations on having a wife that helps you clean up the garage.
I keep my garage locked up tighter than Fort Knox, I'm just don't have any gold.
Depending on your insurance deductible, you might want to have the more expensive items "specifically insured" (talk to your agent about this feature).
The last time I had an accurate list was 3 yrs ago when my employer offered to insure my tools against theft, loss and breakage.

You might find it easier to do a video and talk through it to detail what you are showing. If you had a loss, it would jog your memory. Put it on a DVD and store it at a friend or relatively house. I also scanned all my important documents and put them on CD, safe away from my house.

I vote for Travelover's plan! Only thing is, what if the friend's house burns? Maybe a bank lock-box would be more dependable.
No, I don't own or have connections with a bank and this is not spam!
Glenn

I vote for Travelover's plan! Only thing is, what if the friend's house burns? Maybe a bank lock-box would be more dependable.
No, I don't own or have connections with a bank and this is not spam!
Glenn

Well if the friend's house burns, make another CD. If they both burn, grab your guns and head for the hills. :D

Being as lazy as I am, I thought to look around to see if someone else had done the hard work for me.

I found a nice template that works with Microsoft Access database. It's pretty cool. It's also FREE! I downloaded the template and I'm messing with it to see if it can be changed to fit my needs. If anybody wants it, let me know

I can't attach it because it's an invalid file type...maybe through PM?

We need to do this for our Co, tax reasons. Every year we send in the tax form with our property list. Tools ,trailers, everything to do with building.
This is also good for expensive belongings.
Everyone owns a digital camera. Take a picture of the product and the receipt. Also the serial No. if you want to get all the money out of your insurance carrier you are owed.
They also like when someone has done their job for them.;)
Pictures on disc.....what did we do before technology.......?
Place in fireproof safe....and check your policy.:eek:

Quicken.

Back