Idea to Replace Old Pizza Oven

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejordan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a really old disgusting pizza oven built into our outdoor area that we would like to remove asap. (Image attached)

We were thinking of either dismantling it or building over it with something else like a rock fountain.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on how we can revamp this area (DIY-style)?

Thanks!
Eric

pizzaoven.jpg

It appears to be concreted into the rear half-circle of concrete. Do you think it could be removed without it being destroyed?

I was thinking dismantled but that would depend on how it's built and how bad someone wants it.
And welcome to the site.

Looks like a grill not an oven, unless that door to the firebox is an oven. There may be value in the parts. If it was built with fire brick and you can salvage them, along with the firebox, there's some value.
If you're set on getting rid of it, take it apart as best you can and sell the parts. Any regular brick or concrete won't have any value but the firebrick and the metal parts will.

Why not try covering it with stucco or a mortar skim coat and dress it up? Could be a nice base to start with..... Just my :2cents:

When I was a kid every dad on the block was building one of these from plans in Popular Science. Then came the Charmglow grills on a pole and now, the have to have thing is those mammoth stainless steel monsters. Most of them never cooked a hamburger.

If you don’t like it get a crowbar and a hammer and start at the top and start knocking it apart. My bet is it will come apart pretty easy. Put an ad on line and you might get a few bucks for the parts or list them for free and they will be gone quick.

If you want the poured horseshoe gone that might take a little more work. I would leave it and make a feature out of it with planting and a seating bench built around it.

Thats a grill not pizza oven.
I would hit it with a pressure washer which will clean up like brand new then change out the grates to really nice cast iron or stainless steel then paint the door with high temp paint and it would look like new.

The horseshoe is part of your retaining wall. Have a plan before you attack it. May make a nice place for a gazebo or something.
Looks like you have fired up the BBQ; how well does it work? Is the chimney clear? If it's just a matter of looks, then maybe you can resurface it.

It was built a bit sloppy. The sides look like they were done wrong and never tied into the front and now starting to pull away. They should of used the same brick on the sides with a running bond to tie it all together.
I might try to fix it if it was mine and even convert it to an oven. Nice place to bake pizza and bread when the grid goes down.

When I was a kid every dad on the block was building one of these from plans in Popular Science. Then came the Charmglow grills on a pole and now, the have to have thing is those mammoth stainless steel monsters. Most of them never cooked a hamburger.

If you don’t like it get a crowbar and a hammer and start at the top and start knocking it apart. My bet is it will come apart pretty easy. Put an ad on line and you might get a few bucks for the parts or list them for free and they will be gone quick.

If you want the poured horseshoe gone that might take a little more work. I would leave it and make a feature out of it with planting and a seating bench built around it.

And some people still love them.
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-72285562/stock-vector-brick-barbecue-retro-ad-art-illustration.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_12192532_restore-1950s-brick-bbq.html

Yep those bring back memories. My dad never built a fancy one like several of the neighbors did but we had a small one made from loose stacked bricks without any mortar. Our back yard was about 100 feet deep and my dad had a pile of old brick back by the back fence. One day I was about 6 years old and my sister was a teenager my dad called us out and told us we would be building a grill and he wanted our help. He had been watching the wonderful world of Disney the night before and they showed a time laps movie of building Disney World and he got the idea and built this gadget. He had his Bell and Howe movie cam screwed to a piece of plywood and had a 45 RPM record player hooked down to the board also and had a gadget he made that when the platter spun around each time it had an arm sticking out that would hit a lever that would flip the shutter on the cam to take one frame. These old cams you would wind up and holding the shutter button down would make a movie and pushing it up would take one frame. He had rubber bands flipping things back and such I wish I had a photo of this Rube Goldberg machine.

Anyway he had a spot cleared where the BBQ was going to be and he told my sister and I we were to go get the bricks one at a time and he would build it. He started the machine running and I don’t think I understood then how it worked and my sister could care less. I stated running back and forth with bricks and my sister was walking as slow as she could at first then a neighbor girl came over to help about my age and my sister got tired after about 10 bricks and sat down in a chair to watch the two of us and my dad stacking bricks and encouraging us to keep going. He had a couple pipes to go across and an old cook grate he got someplace and then when it was getting up there he started putting paper and sticks and wood in it as we were still bringing bricks to finish the top. Then we stand around while he lit it up and right on cue my mom comes out with a tray of hot dogs and buns. I guess she was in on the plan.

A week or so later we set up the screen in the living room and play the movie and laugh till we were in tears.:clap: He must have shown that movie 500 times over the years. I wish I could get a hold of it again and make it digital it would be great to share on line, but unfortunately it was lost or with some movies my sister has that she claims she can’t find. :(

Back