Does Elastomeric Caulking Shrink?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyAbby72

Reaction score
My contractor is coming for a call back to fix seams in my crown moulding on Monday. I'm still unsure as to the best product to fill the gaps. Previous posters suggested Alex230 (I found mixed reviews online) and Big Stretch (the reviews were pretty good with only a few complaints) and when I emailed DAP customer support they recommended Dynaflex 230 (photo attached -- navy blue tube)

I'm tempted to "offer suggestions" to my contractor so he won't do a "quick fix" (ie. buy cheap caulk to appease me while the work is under warranty). I want it fixed with long term results.

Then I read a website that elastomeric caulks shrink (photo attached -- read the last sentence) :confused: I'm tossing this out there one last time....What would you recommend? I'm open to any opinions, suggestions, etc. Thanks!

DAP Alex 230 caulking.GIF

dap dynaflex 230.GIF

Last edited:
My contractor is coming for a call back to fix seams in my crown moulding on Monday. I'm still unsure as to the best product to fill the gaps. Previous posters suggested Alex230 (I found mixed reviews online) and Big Stretch (the reviews were pretty good with only a few complaints) and when I emailed DAP customer support they recommended Dynaflex 230 (photo attached -- navy blue tube)

I'm tempted to "offer suggestions" to my contractor so he won't do a "quick fix" (ie. buy cheap caulk to appease me while the work is under warranty). I want it fixed with long term results.

Then I read a website that elastomeric caulks shrink (photo attached -- read the last sentence) :confused: I'm tossing this out there one last time....What would you recommend? I'm open to any opinions, suggestions, etc. Thanks!

This is the painters caulk all my guys use, it holds up well to movement, but also depends on how dry the house gets and where you live. All new homes shrink, that is the nature of wood to absorb moisture mostly in the summer humid months and release it in the dryer winter months.
I have done thousands of miles of crown molding in my company, as long as it is a semicontroled environment, this will work fine. If there is no humidification in the house , all bets are off with any caulking.
Good luck.:)

Thanks inspectord. Which caulking do you use? The alex230 or the dynaflex230?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

The Alex plus 230. make sure the area is prepped right,no dust or dirt and that the actual tubes are not out of date.. we have had that issue before when purchased from some stores.

We use Dynaflex outside. Caulking exposed to sunlight will shrink. If you use it indoors, it should not be a problem. :D

Latest posts

Back