When to Add Attic Insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxHomeowner

Reaction score
How do we determine if more insulation is needed in our 23 year old two story home?

Where in TX are you?
Generally, what is the heating and cooling profile?
Is the glazing single or dual?
Do you have open uncovered masonry on the south and west sides?
Is the exterior finish masonry or a combination?

The simple test is asking yourself if you are comfortable in your house. Does the room temp start to change in the evening when the Sun goes down? Is there a point when you say, "hey, it got chilly in here" or, "Man, it's warm all of a sudden".

Where in TX are you?
Generally, what is the heating and cooling profile?
Is the glazing single or dual?
Do you have open uncovered masonry on the south and west sides?
Is the exterior finish masonry or a combination?

Dallas County, near the top of a hill,
We have two brand new Lennox AC & Heating units,
All brick on the south side, garage door and James Hardie siding on the west side

I think you start by asking people around you what they have done and if they have saved money by doing it and what is the comfort difference. With similar houses.
I have seen people spend thousands with little improvement.

I think you start by asking people around you what they have done and if they have saved money by doing it and what is the comfort difference. With similar houses.
I have seen people spend thousands with little improvement.

Good idea!

Dallas County, near the top of a hill,
We have two brand new Lennox AC & Heating units,
All brick on the south side, garage door and James Hardie siding on the west side

Thanks.

You have a lot of thermal mass so I suspect that cooling may be a dominant concern, from re-radiation.

Additional attic insulation will serve to capture more heat in the upper floors, which ceiling fans will disperse.

A whole house fan system is exponentially more fiscally beneficial when compared to your present system.

Thanks.

You have a lot of thermal mass so I suspect that cooling may be a dominant concern, from re-radiation.

Additional attic insulation will serve to capture more heat in the upper floors, which ceiling fans will disperse.

A whole house fan system is exponentially more fiscally beneficial when compared to your present system.
We also have ceiling fans in each major room. Having HVAC systems here and many, if not most states is a necessity due the extreme heat and cold winters.

Last edited:
Here on the truly left coast, the climate is much the same and there are a lot of whole house fan systems.

Back